Pig attracting smell ??

SgtScrounge

Going on a pig hunt in a few weeks and I am looking for ideas of some kind of attractant smell. Will be hunting over corn spread out as bait. I was thinking I would bring some peanut butter along but wondering if anyone had a better idea.

Originally Posted By: SgtScroungeI will see if I can find a horny sow to bring to the blind. I know I have seen them at Walmart.

I bet she don't smell like peanut butter!

An airgunner in Brition uses Nuttello mixed with Karo syrup to attract rats. Mixing peanut butter with something like syrup would make it easy to pour around the area but I haven't tried it yet. I does work for mice though. The most important thing about attracting them is you first need to know if they are using the area, all the bait in the world won't attract one if they are not in the area.

Around mid December I hadn't seen very many hogs so I dug a couple holes with a post hole digger and filed them with corn and a bit of molasses. Covered them with dirt and sprinkled some hog attractant on the dirt. Few days later they were all dug up and I've had double the hogs as before since then.

HOG WILD.... I have good sucess with this while trapping. I put it on the corn and cut a stocking and put about 8-10 feet up in a tree to allow smell to travel farther.

I've used cracked corn, sugar and hot water in a 5 gal bucket. When water cools to warm add yeast, give it 1-2 weeks fermenting. They will tear it up. Add a container of grape cool aid to it before pouring it out.

if they are in the area plain corn will work just fine. If you read the directions on nearly every form of hog bait it says: best when used with corn. There's a reason for this, corn is the number 1 hog bait. Scents they are unaccustomed to can have the opposite reaction.....leave! If you have plenty of time by all means experiment if this is only a few days hunt, stick with the known...corn.

The problem with using a scent attractant unless it's a normal bait site, is that to smell it they have to be down wind of it. In most cases being downwind of a bait also puts them downwind of the hunter. Once a bait site is established it really doesn't matter much. However your big mature boars will often still come in on the down wind side to see who's there ahead of them and to wind hot sows.

I very rarely rely on bait.

Sulfured molasses is the only smell attractant I use, you can pour it on a dead log and the hogs will attack the log, besides that soured fermented corn is a good anchor bait if they are anywhere in the area, their nose works very very good!

You might want to ask Bill Clinton. He seems to know how to find pigs as well as marry them. Seems to have a real gift for it.

Hogs are smarter than that Rusty, they're not liberal enough to sniff around Hillary.

When I go bear hunting... I get a few gallons of used bacon grease from Shoney restaurants and
pour it all over the bait site so that they get it all over themselves and carry that scent back into the woods, which makes a back trail for others to follow.... so.... I would think the strong smelling molasses would work the same way by making sure they get all in it... and.... if you smear some high up in the tree branches, then you have a giant scent wick. Plus... smear some down low on the side of a tree so that they can rub their backs in it, making for a super scent wick on four legs.

I'm going to try calling some tomorrow evening at my buddie's corn pile to see if my ecaller will bring them on in quicker.

I seen a guy use Budweiser time & time again and he would score one PIG after the other....hahahahahaha..BANG BANG!!!!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

When trap hogs I tie the gate open and bait with corn for a few days until they are coming good. While I'm waiting I put 50 lbs of corn in a tube and put about a gallon or two of diesel stirring every few days. I then bait my trap with it. I've caught deer, and turkeys in the past this prevents that. . Also keeps coons and squirrels away. A few summers ago I caught 17 in 3 months doing this. I use the hog wold method described above with this.

Last edited:
Back