Coyotes and deep snow cover?

Nutmegger

Ok I am a flatlander in New England and new to hunting coyotes and as I type this I am getting snowed in. So I was wondering, does deep snow affect the behavior of coyotes or is it business as usual?

how deep are you talking. I have hunted them in 2 feet of fresh powder and they get around just fine. They just kinda hop through the snow. If there is any decent amount of crust or its heavy wet snow, coyotes usually can walk on top of the snow or barely sink in.

I used to think deep snow would be great as the coyote would have a harder time finding food. What I have come to think now is. Yes they can get around but they will not travel as far to a call. Coyotes seem to have an internal calorie counter that tells them if the trip is worth the effort.

It depends on the snow. If the snow is hard crust they can walk on it fine but deep powder or slush makes it harder to get around. If you know where you are planning on hunting in the near future get out a day or 2 earlier and make a few trails to and from where you think the coyotes are to where you plan on calling them. If you cant get the time to make snow trails look for areas where other animals already have. Coyotes often will use well used deer trails to avoid trudging through the thick stuff. Keep an eye out for trails in your hunting area and you will do just fine
Good luck!

We had a huge amount of snow early this year. It made the calling hard and the coyotes just didn't want to move. In fact it sucked. I think if you can find a day where the sun is out and warming you will do better. By all means if it's the only time you can get out go, just consider your self lucky to get out and IF you see a coyote your very lucky.

I agree with these guys. Deep soft snow is not your friend when calling. Get a good hard crust so they are on top and they will come good.

Back