coyote hunting chair suggestions

I am 6'5" 280. I was using stadium seats they would only last a few stands then break. I made a seat patterned off of the stadium out of steel. Has lasted 8 years now with seat and backrest made of plywood. If i make a new one it will be made of aluminum for light weight. I would post pictures but, don't know how.

ALPS Turkey Chair.

This is the one I use... LOVE IT!!

Turkey-Chair-MC-Xtra-600x600.png

Mac Sports butt height 20" off ground for night hunting so i can see and with the cup holder removed so the chair folds up and goes right in with the Benelli for easy transport.....good luck!!!
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I am 6'9" 240. I use the Browning Strutter chair. Keeps my heine dry. Its a little heavy, but well worth it in my opinion. Amazon $42.00

Originally Posted By: old catlook this up on internet tenzing ground seat. also a video on predator master predator hunting coyotes everywhere. cost $299.99.
That looks awesome but man that's a lot of money.

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockALPS Turkey Chair.

This is the one I use... LOVE IT!!

Turkey-Chair-MC-Xtra-600x600.png

I bought that chair in preparation for the convention. Definitely loving it so far, although the only experience I have shooting from it is at the range. Still, sitting in that chair and using a Primos Trigger Stick tripod I was whacking steel javelina at 300 meters fairly rapid fire (~1 round every 1-2 seconds) with surprising consistency.

Chris K.,

While you are sitting in this chair, you lean back a little. Whenever I'd go to take a shot, I'd have to lean forward and this was a little odd for me, so I simply placed my scope BACK in the rings just a bit. This way, I can stay leaned back on the chair and still have a great site picture when shooting.

The back of the chair also keeps you very stead since your back is resting against it.

I don't have a picture, but I use the PRIMOS DOUBLE BULL CHAIR It's a three legged chair very well made. It works very well for me. im sure you'll like it,just google it. don

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockChris K.,

While you are sitting in this chair, you lean back a little. Whenever I'd go to take a shot, I'd have to lean forward and this was a little odd for me, so I simply placed my scope BACK in the rings just a bit. This way, I can stay leaned back on the chair and still have a great site picture when shooting.

The back of the chair also keeps you very stead since your back is resting against it.

I tend not to lean back in chairs much anyway. Plus, the AR I'll be using won't allow me to lean back, shoulder the rifle, and still have the handguard on the shooting sticks (at least not comfortably). I am planning one more trip to the range to get used to shooting from it so I'll experiment a little bit.

I am a BIG guy. I use the Allen dove hunting stool. I wrap the legs in camo tape to quiet them down.

They are inexpensive and hold up quite well even with my bulk on it. My first one lasted several years.

If you need to sit on the ground, then the stadium type seats are very good.... but.... if you can get by with sitting up higher in your area, then use my simple system of using a 3-legged folding chair with a PVC pipe across the back instead of a back pad. Sit in it backwards with one leg through the opening, and with shooting sticks... and.... the MOST IMPORTANT part of it is the pipe across the back which gives your arms a place to rest... which gives you a FAR MORE STABLE REST when your arms being stable.

Test it.

Grab a chair, shooting sticks, and a rifle and sit forward and aiming at something 300 or more yards away... watch your crosshair movement... then do it sitting backwards with your arms resting on the back pad or chair post... and watch your crosshairs now... if the second test is not more stable for you... then I'll buy you a steak dinner...

4a988139-8ab5-48d0-98b3-5d08fe3fa4fd_zps5f6f8cac.jpg

If the places you sit allow you to sit about 16" off the ground.....you can always do what I did.
Granted, carrying weight is about 5 lbs, but it does come with a carry strap. Hahaha

With weight & health issues making it impossible for me to easily get down on the ground, let alone get back up (picture beached whale)...I had to stop using the stadium seats that I had always used.

So a couple years ago, I went to Harbor Freight & bought one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html

Made of aluminum, and can hold 350lb man.
The legs fold in for carrying...yet lock in place with latches, for use.

Then, I set to work with camo spray paint, and viola:

Got a couple of 1-1/2" thick camo foam pads, that are sold to guys who want to sit on the ground.
When stand spot was reached, I placed both pads on the platform, and it makes a reasonably comfy seat...as long as your stand doesn't last 45 min or so.
Or your legs don't fall asleep from sitting too long (as mine are prone to do...even sitting at home in the recliner).
I suppose it isn't the best for majorly uneven ground. But, it sure is steady!

If the places you sit allow you to sit about 16" off the ground.....you can always do what I did.
Granted, carrying weight is about 5 lbs, but it does come with a carry strap. Hahaha

With weight & health issues making it impossible for me to easily get down on the ground, let alone get back up (picture beached whale)...I had to stop using the stadium seats that I had always used.

So a couple years ago, I went to Harbor Freight & bought one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html

Made of aluminum, and can hold 350lb man.
The legs fold in for carrying...yet lock in place with latches, for use.

Then, I set to work with camo spray paint, and viola:

I will probably go this route and fashion a back rest to it. thanks guys for the info

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donlynchI don't have a picture, but I use the PRIMOS DOUBLE BULL CHAIR It's a three legged chair very well made. It works very well for me. im sure you'll like it,just google it. don

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-Double-Bull-QS-Magnum-Tri-Stool/744976.uts

I use the same chair, maybe for the last 3 years. I like the three legs for uneven ground and it sit up a bit higher so I can see above some of the small foliage.

Quote:Grab a chair, shooting sticks, and a rifle and sit forward and aiming at something 300 or more yards away... watch your crosshair movement... then do it sitting backwards with your arms resting on the back pad or chair post... and watch your crosshairs now... if the second test is not more stable for you... then I'll buy you a steak dinner...

I try to call them in to about 40 yards, then shoot them. No sticks needed.
smile.gif

This last week I borrowed a friends Stoney point sticks, and they did help with a few longer shots, but cost me a coyote that came in close.

Back