Crow Hunting

jrry261

Hey guys! New guy here who has recently become addicted to crow hunting! I been looking to buy some Cd's of crow calls to play through mp3's but can't find a very good selection. I found one on ebay but have no idea on the quality. Was looking at the Bob Oronsohn cd, was told there was 2 of them but can only find the one. Any suggestions would be great to help nourish this addiction!

It is fun ibut my suggestion just go buy a cheap e caller most places you can send in to company and they Weill add sounds you want if you can't get them.. I went and found a cheap FoxPro spitfire just for that reason, but also use it yote hunt 2 for one!! But whatever you get, get wounded crow or dieing crow as a sound! That gets them a flocking!! Good luck man and have fun,hope you do more killing then shooting, me I do more shooting lol..

Welcome to HPA. Google Bob Aronsohn and you'll get several sources for his sounds and cd's. Shawn's suggestion of getting an e-caller is a good one. What area of Pa. are you in? I do some crow hunting in western Pa. with a FoxPro Fusion and hand calls. In fact I was out today. Good decoys help a lot in our area as well.

The crows around here have gotten educated. I can call them in better with a mouth call than my Foxpro. Had a few come in the other week with my old Lohman mouth call, fired a few shots, then turned on the Foxpro. Crows quickly left, and didn't come back. Of course, then there are the times they do come in, and the shooting is great! I've had better luck with young crow fighting, and young crow distress.

I went to a e caller and never even thought of mouth callers, they are cheap easy to use and that'swhat iI started with and have called in tons of birds with them, just the easyness of a button and waiting is great!! But I agree with decoys, and this might sound stupid but it works! Use armorial car wipes and keep them shining, have you ever seen a dull crow?? Exactly!

Thanks guys for the tips and replies. I guess I will start saving up for a e caller, I'll just have to squeek by on what I have for now, maybe I'll try to take the Johnny Stewart tapes I can get and make some mp3s from those.

shawn, doing more shooting isn't always a bad thing, shooting is the fun part, hitting just adds to the fun lol

basdjs I am in the Altoona/Johnstown area

Jerry, I'm a good two hours away from you in Butler County or we could probably get together. The others are right about the hand calls and I forgot to mention them in my first reply. I always try to carry a couple with me and start out with them or use them as a break from the e-caller. The problem with many of the e-caller sounds is that they contain too many crows. I run into a lot of singles or small groups and when they come in to the sound of a flock of crows and see a few decoys and limited motion, they often veer if they've been educated by other hunters. Using a good hand call, one made for calling crows not shocking the daylights out of turkeys, can better simulate that single or double that might be in the area. I use an old Mallardtone, Mincey, and another wooden one that doesn't even have a name on it. Friends have used Faulk's and Hammerin Crows and they sound good as well. I like to get the hand calls out at home and play around with the neighborhood crows to practice cadence and technique. Bob Aronsohn has a great tape on calling with hand calls and you only need to know a couple basic ones to get a response.

Carrying hand calls can save the day too if you do what I did last Friday and hike all the way to your calling spot, set everything up, and then find you've got a dead battery on your e-caller because you turned off your remote but forgot to turn off the callerr on the last hunt. What an idiot I am sometimes!

Having some movement to your decoys helps too. I flock my decoys rather than shine them.

Last edited:
Crows don't get much pressure around here. I use a crow call when coyote hunting with a partner to let them know I'm finished. Can't tell you how many times they show up when we are loading up. I just use the crow call sounds that came with my Foxpro. My wife didn't believe they would come in. So I set up on the patio and called a whole mess of them. Dive bombing the caller. She'd seen the movie "The birds" too many times and made me knock it off.

I dont mean to hijack but its a common thing with my stand s to have crows show up when calling coyotes. Whats the deal? Im not using a crow call.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHI dont mean to hijack but its a common thing with my stand s to have crows show up when calling coyotes. Whats the deal? Im not using a crow call.
Crows are just looking for a meal so if you are using prey sounds they think dinner may be on the table. They also know there may be scraps if a coyote's on a kill.

Originally Posted By: basdjsOriginally Posted By: Lefty SRHI dont mean to hijack but its a common thing with my stand s to have crows show up when calling coyotes. Whats the deal? Im not using a crow call.
Crows are just looking for a meal so if you are using prey sounds they think dinner may be on the table. They also know there may be scraps if a coyote's on a kill.

Lefty,Bas nailed it,its also good to use crow sounds on your coyote stands,mixed with your prey and coyote sounds, to a real effect to your set,crows will follow coyotes around some times

I've got one CD of Bobs that a friend sent me, but I,ve never tried it. Some of my best luck has beem with Johnny Stewarts Crow and Owl fight, then follow it with dying crow.
Crow hunting can be addictive, enjoy it.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57I've got one CD of Bobs that a friend sent me, but I,ve never tried it. Some of my best luck has beem with Johnny Stewarts Crow and Owl fight, then follow it with dying crow.
Crow hunting can be addictive, enjoy it.

Shayne

Yote how have you been?? Long time!!

Last edited:
Went after coyotes yesterday morning...no luck. At one stand, I cranked up Lightning Jack, and the crows covered me up. Something about that sound! After my round of trying coyotes, I got my shotgun and Foxpro to try the crows. Went back near the place the crows covered me up, and fired old Lightning Jack up again....nothing!! I used mouth calls along with several crow sounds, not a shot! Went to other side of the farm, could hear crows tearing it up. Started with mouth call, and they're fired up, but not one ever flew over. Tried the Foxpro, and same result. Didn't fire a shot all morning!! Don't know what's going on with the crows around here.

Originally Posted By: nr123Went after coyotes yesterday morning...no luck. At one stand, I cranked up Lightning Jack, and the crows covered me up. Something about that sound! After my round of trying coyotes, I got my shotgun and Foxpro to try the crows. Went back near the place the crows covered me up, and fired old Lightning Jack up again....nothing!! I used mouth calls along with several crow sounds, not a shot! Went to other side of the farm, could hear crows tearing it up. Started with mouth call, and they're fired up, but not one ever flew over. Tried the Foxpro, and same result. Didn't fire a shot all morning!! Don't know what's going on with the crows around here.
Crows are very intelligent birds so they probably made you on the first pass and weren't falling for that again right away.

Bas,is dead on, you better have good camo,head to toe,a good blind and I always want to have the sun to my back to create shadows,morning blinds face west,night blinds east...
You want the loudest call you can get with mutiple sounds to call them in, and bring them back,and you have to have decoys for a good shoot..

I'm no expert by any means but I can get crows into shotgun range almost anytime I want with my ma-21 with wt's crow high pitch distress sound. To make it better throw out a little furry decoy thingy bouncing around a crow decoy and they lose their mind and about half the time if you wait long enough a coyote will show up. My buddy and I kill almost half our coyotes using crows.

Back