Recommendation for scope for 17wsm

barometerbilly

I am thinking of buying a 17wsm. I am a HUGE 17hmr fan. I shoot thousands of rounds of 17hmr a year. I am thinking of getting a Savage Bmag unless there are other suggestions for a rifle out there. I need a scope that has mil-dots and out to 200-300 yards that can be mounted on a 17wsm.

I tend to put scopes in the 200 dollar range on my rim fires. I have a rim fire pro-staff on my 22 and a vortex diamond back on my 17hmr. They both have drop compensation reticule just need to do the ballistics to see where they would like up with a 17wsm. If you want true mil dots you can find a scope with that reticule also.

Originally Posted By: barometerbilly I am thinking of getting a Savage Bmag unless there are other suggestions for a rifle out there.

you might want to wait for a ruger. not much love for bmags. 3-9x40 scope is hard to beat.

If I was looking for a good scope for a .17 WSM I would go for one of these Weavers....it's a tremendous deal on excellent glass

Weaver Scope Deal

They also have the 16X max magnification model on a great deal....I think it was about $40 cheaper but more magnification may be desirable at 300 yards.

As for the Bmag I have no regrets with the one I purchased. It shoots great and was pretty cheap, I bought one when they first came out and haven't had an issue with it yet. If they offered a heavy barrel back then I would have opted for it but heat isn't an issue with the standard contour barrel either. I think for the price they sell for they offer a lot of value, the only thing I dislike on mine is the flimsy stock but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy much so I haven't changed it.

I put a vxr 4-12 with cds on my 17wsm. I love it. I had a barrel made for my encore from mgm. Shoots about a 1" group at 100. Seems like the bmags are hit and miss.

Back