22 mag ammo

EDP

What is your fav and why
I have been shooting some of the hornady critical defense shot a few foxes with it any reason why it would not be a good round on coyotes or bobcats?

I have tons of hornady varmint 30 gr they shoot awesome but they don't seem to kill very quick think maybe they explode to fast?

Last edited:
It depends. For what?

I shoot Federal 50 gr. JHP more than anything else. Why? Because it groups into tiny clusters and has the most knockdown power for coyotes.....

I shoot CCI hp 40s in the silver casing or Vmax. I have tried the CCI 30s but they are inch groups at a hundred instead of half inch. The cheapest rifle I own is probably the best shooter I have. When I gave to haul it for coyotes around town its loaded with the CCI 40s

We are limited to rimfire here for much of the season and we've killed a few coyotes and foxes with the WMR. From my experiences, the 30 grain bullets are not the best choice. Find a 40gr HP that shoots well from your rifle and you'll be fine with well-placed shots. Rimfire rifles can be very finicky about ammunition and a brand that shoots well in one rifle may not do well in another. Buy a few different brands and see what your rifle likes best.

I run the cci 40g jhp. They have been excellent on all varmints from small to yotes.

I have been running a few hornady 30g vmax but have not been impressed by the results. Been getting a lot of critters that have been taking extra shots.

Hands down the CCI 40gr. Game Point! 40gr. PSP 170ft.lbs at one 100yds. and they chrono at right around 2,000fps. Great for small game too! A true controlled expansion round, a very tuff bullet!

Has anyone tried the Armscor 22Mag ammo? It's available around here but only in the 500rd bricks (yes 22mag). Big investment and if it's not good...

Originally Posted By: HereticHas anyone tried the Armscor 22Mag ammo? It's available around here but only in the 500rd bricks (yes 22mag). Big investment and if it's not good...

I tried some in my Ruger American 22 mag. It did not shoot well for me. I never hunted with the stuff.

For small critters up to Marmots/Rock Chucks I like the Winchester 34 grain varmint loads. Bobcat, Fox & Coyotes I like the 40 gr. CCI Small Game load followed by 40 gr. Winchester Super X. My Browning A-Bolt .22 WMR 22" barrel sends them down range at: 34 Win Varmint - 2027 fps, 40 CCI Small Game 1875 fps & 40 Win Super X at 1802 fps. I limit my shots to 100 yard stationary critters when I'm calling and I've never had a yote go more than 20 yards. I don't expect much expansion past 100 yards. If I'm just shooting and don't care for saving the pelts then I pull out my 220 Swift!

Right on Rad175!! My Ruger VMBZ has the 24" barrel and it love the 34gr. Supreme! The lot# of the Supremes that I have is pushing them at dang near 2,200fps. My other Rugers love the 40gr. SGB it just kill coyotes. And I have plenty Win 40gr. HP an FMJ.

Back