selling/shipping powder

AzDiamondHeat

I need to sell an 8lb jug of w296 that I bought and don't need. Where is the best place to sell this? Can I legally ship it? Just pay the hazmat fee?

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Gunbroker.com is a good place to sell. Ship UPS Hazmat.

Bad advice. Take a look at the posts saying it is illegal. You must have a license to ship powder.

Originally Posted By: Rosco2469I am in need of powder. Any suggestions would help.

Watch some of the online stores. They regularly get a lot of the powders.

I talked to the USDOT today about getting a shippers license to ship gun powder and primers. I was told that there is NO license but the regulations are strict in labeling the box. Training is definitely required as to what all needs to be done to be able to legally ship powder and primers. Unless the guy that I spoke with at the USDOT is an absolute idiot and gave me bad information, there is no license needed.

For the average private seller it's just to much of a hassle to ship small amounts of powder 'legally'. The powder sellers you see online are 'known shippers'. One sees powder fairly often on Armslist, for the local buyer to pickup.

After that most would like to see a factory seal, as much as can be expected anyway.

what would be wrong with shipping the powder in the same box you received it in? that is to say you had it shipped to you in the first place. The boxes I have all have the proper placarding on them. Or heres an idea just call a few shipping Companies and ask.....

Last edited:
There is a post in the classifieds about shipping powder. Everything I could find stated that a license is required. If someone can find something from the BATF or USDOT that states different, I would like to see it. Information given over the phone from someone is not going to convince me you can do it without a license.

Originally Posted By: reb8600There is a post in the classifieds about shipping powder. Everything I could find stated that a license is required. If someone can find something from the BATF or USDOT that states different, I would like to see it. Information given over the phone from someone is not going to convince me you can do it without a license.

I think you are correct in your assessment. It comes down to having the license to ship, no matter how you package it. I've never heard of a private seller shipping gunpowder, legally. I think they would come down hard if one tried to sneak it through. Eventually a local buyer will turn up, if priced right.

I'm shipping a little ammo soon, that has enough hoops for me.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanYou must have insurance to ship powder along with the license, same for primers.

Which is nonsense because anyone can ship loaded rounds or even primed brass. These rules make no sense.

No license is required. The contract that you enter into with UPS is basically a promise that you or someone in your organization is trained by a USDOT trainer on the proper way to package, label the shipping container, and properly complete the paperwork. It's not a UPS rule on shipping powder and primers but a USDOT rule.

This information is direct from USDOT and UPS. There is no license.

You guys that feel strongly about having a license to ship should contact the USDOT and get the correct information. It's easy and the folks there are very helpful and informative.

License may not be the word to use but you are required to do the training and there is going to some sort of documentation to prove you did it.

Back