22-250 coyote reload 53gr vmax or 60gr vmax?

zr600

What should i try reloading for my 22-250 53gr or 60 gr vmax? Which one will buck the wind better and which one would be better at long ranges like 500 yards or so on coyotes.

What is the twist of your rifle? I like 50 to 55 gr bullets myself. Your rifle might not shoot 60 gr. If the twist is too slow. Between your choices I would opt for the 53 gr. JMO...

The 53 v-max has a better BC and probably a better choice. My buddy shot a BIG prairie dog this year in SD at 589 yards with a 53 v-max out of his Savage 22-250. Blew a hole about 1 1/2" in that pd. I probably wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't seen it. I've killed several coyotes with the 53 gr in a .223 with good results, but not with a 22-250.
Keep us posted on how they work.

What does the better bc do? Thats what im trying figure out is if a heavier bullet would be better for wind and long range or would the better bc be better.

B.C.--stands for Ballistic Coefficient --the higher the B.C. the better it maintains velocity down range--my coyote bullets are around a B.C. of .300 which inside of 300 yards work great--when I plan on shooting out to 1000 yards as in wolf hunting they are Berger 105 grain VLD with a B.C. of .532--higher velocity and bucks the wind much better--hope this helps.---these are .243 bullets but how bullet B.C. woks is the same.

Last edited:
While I've used the 50 to 55 gr bullets for years with good results, the heavier weight should give you better wind resistance and more hitting energy at longer distances. Not that pds need much energy but you never know when another varmint might show up.

Back