Long range - 243 or 6.5 creedmoor

Z

Want a long range, low recoiling rifle. Don't want custom. Just something I can buy off the shelf. Would like your opinions and suggestions. I am a reloader. Thanks

I had my Mauser action rebarreled from a .308 to a 6.5 Creedmore, 1/8 twist by Douglas Barrels...I have brass, powder, primers, and bullets, but have been unable to find any Hornady factory rounds locally and really don't want to pay the HazMat fee for just a couple of boxes from the online sources...

I'm still waiting for my cash build up to order the Redding die set after the PM hunt..The 4000 mile round trip will be expensive enough for this month...There are less expensive dies sets out there, but I'd rather cry once than cry twice...

My Remington 24" adl sporter with 1/9.125" twist will spin the hornady 105 HPBT .530 bc and the 105 Barnes Match Burner .511 bc out to 800yds.

If you could find a factory .243 with a 1/8 twist that's the route I'd go.

The more I use my .243 the more I wonder why I own other rifles.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI have brass, powder, primers, and bullets, but have been unable to find any Hornady factory rounds locally and really don't want to pay the HazMat fee for just a couple of boxes from the online sources...

No hazmat on loaded rounds. Just can't ship usps. I just ordered 20 boxes of 17hmr from Midsouth, so hazmat, shipped fed-ex.

I'm not sure anyone makes an 8 twist 243? 6.5 Creedmoor will give you a little more barrel life, and great factory match ammo from what I've heard.

If you want a bolt gun look at the savage lrp in 6.5 creedmoor. I have the same model but in 260. I think they make it in 243 as well,just not sure on the twist.

Another one to look at is a savage predator hunter max 1. IF and thats a big if, you can find them they are offered in 6.5 creed, 260 and 243.

Quote:No hazmat on loaded rounds. Just can't ship usps. Thanks for the info,,,,It's been so long since I have bought any factory ammo, I had forgotten that point...

Originally Posted By: pahntr760 Or a 6x47 Lapua. I prefer the x47L case.
Pahntr760, I'm having a 6x47L barrel put on my short action Remington. Would you mind PM me some of you load data? Nice weapon in your signature

Originally Posted By: bulknessOriginally Posted By: pahntr760 Or a 6x47 Lapua. I prefer the x47L case.
Pahntr760, I'm having a 6x47L barrel put on my short action Remington. Would you mind PM me some of you load data? Nice weapon in your signature

I currently only have the 6.5 version...but plans to build a 6X and a 22X version. Buster Hindend will be along...he has 3 of them (6x47Lapua)

Depends on what you call long range. How far are you going to be shooting? Then I can make a recommendation based upon that.

Originally Posted By: ZWant a long range, low recoiling rifle. Don't want custom. Just something I can buy off the shelf. Would like your opinions and suggestions. I am a reloader. Thanks

Talking factory rifles. I have the savage Predator max 1 in 243. I shoot the 87 grain v-max out to 900 with it. It starts getting dicey further than that with my load as it hits subsonic soon after that. Some have shot 105's out of theirs to reach out, I have not tried. The twist is borderline for them.

The same rifle in 6.5 will do your 1000 easy and beyond.

I prefer the 243 for anything 750 and less as it has practically no recoil esp when I screw a suppressor on it.

750 and out I like the 6.5 creed.

This is with factory rifles.

Custom is another story.

I shot a yote at 675 with that 243 couple weeks ago from In-laws dairy barn loft.

Back