most acurate bullet in 22-250 14 twist

johnnyjr

sneaky2.gif

Just wondering what you have found to be your most accurate bullet in your 22-250....Mine has the 14 twist and I have not tried it yet. Still waiting for my stock from Boyds...Thanks

52gr Speer FB HP, 52gr Hornady Match and surprisingly the 55gr Rem FB SP w/chan. The first two in my Rem 722 with an LVSF barrel on it and the last in a 20" varmint weight savage barrel(shortened).

To me the magic weight for a 14 twist 22-250 is 52 grains. 52 Hornady BTHP Match, 52 Hornady Amax, 52 Sierra BTHP Match King, 52 Speer FBHP, all have been very accurate for me in the 14 twist. I would give the edge to the 52 gr AMAX, outstanding accuracy and flat knocks the snot out of coyotes and varmints. The 52 Sierra MK would not be far behind. All of these have performed very well loaded with H4895.

Another bullet that my current 22-250 1 in 14 loves is the 40 gr Vmax. I don't shoot it often but this bullet with Varget gave me really great groups in load testing.

Last edited:
The BEST out of my T/C is a sierra match king 52 gr. and Varget powder, but they don't "KILL" coyotes as well as I had hoped. I now use a 52 gr. Berger with Varget and get ALMOST as accurate and they DO kill coyotes.

mine liked 40gr Vmax bullets.

But i reload and now use 50gr Max and will be switching to 53gr Vmax once my stock pile of 50s is gone.

Sierra 52 gr HPBT matchking are outstandingly accurate in my CZ Varmint Kevlar 1:14" twist. However I did try Hornady 53 gr Vmax's, and they shot well too even though Hornady suggests 1:12" twist. Just goes to show to try things and see how they work.

No, 31 answers!

barrels will often prefer a flat base over a boat tail, this is why sierra makes the 53g Match and the 52g Match BTHP, these are unreal accurate bullets.

I have had really great results out of any Sierra Bullet that has a "match grade jacket" on it in 22 Caliber. Match grade means that the jacket run out has a very high degree of Quality Control. The sierra bullets of this quality are:

52 & 53g Match
50g Blitz king
55g Blitz King
55g BTHP
55g BTSP

Sierra Bullets QC is very high on all bullets that I have found over the years. In 1984, I won a Benchrest match shooting a 22PPC with the Sierra 50g lead tip blitz, with the average of 5(five) shot groups being 0.189. I also shot a .069 in the warm up match that does not count for scoring of the average. The 50g Blitz bullets today still shoot very tiny groups in my custom 22 CF rifles, along with the 50g Spt. There is something magic about this 50g bullet design when it comes to accuracy.

This is why some of the Sierra bullets cost a tad more, because the quality of the jackets. Hornady adopted this policy by using the term, "Amp" jacket, those bullets cost a tad more also.

Having said this about Sierra bullets, the Nosler 40, 50, and 55g Bullets have constantly shot very small groups in custom rifles with "match" chambers.

I had a custom AR built in the 80's, shot the Fowler 52's that DAA spoke of, that rifle would shoot 5(five) shot groups that would average .289, but could never get it below .250 because it had a 9" twist. That AR had a 27" Max Heavy Varmint barrel on it built by Bill Wylde, heck of a gun.

Today, if I had to pick a single bullet to try in a rifle for it's utmost accuracy in 22 caliber, it would be the 53g Sierra. Some would ask why not the 52g BTHP match? Well, most rifles prefer a flat base bullet over a boat tail. Short range benchrest shooters found that out a long time ago. This however would go against the grain of popular opinion of every bullet needing a boat tail. Well, the public's popular opinion is often very fickle, and more often than not, very wrong.

When I speak of small groups in custom rifles, I am talking of groups that are in the 0.250 and smaller in Heavy Varmint weight hunting rifles.

Back