Home-Made NV Samples Part 3

6mm06

Last night I recorded a red fox via my home-made night vision unit. The possum and gray fox
were from recent recordings within the past three weeks or so.

The LLTL-001 illuminator makes the 60 yard-site look like daylight. It was pretty dark out last night.
It would have been easy shooting. I recently purchased a T-20 illuminator that has three power settings
of 15%, 50% and 100%. It has the same body housing as the LLTL-001. I haven't tried it yet, but
from what I have have been told, it compares to the LLTL in brightness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzz61F6n5Bc&feature=youtu.be

That footage is very clear and crisp at that distance have you tried any other camera's than the EJ230? also I saw your decoy test at 125yds but would the ej230 work out to 200yds if the IR illumination was stronger.

Patncor, No, I have only used the EJ230 and don't have any experience with anything else. I think that one continues to be Roland's top pick for this type of build.

Yes, the EJ230 should work well out to 200 yards provided you have enough illumination. I took a gray fox at 125 yards with it and with my LLTL-001 illuminator.

The only issue I see with shooting at any distance is the need for more scope magnification. Seems everything looks further away at night. Optical illusion I suppose. When you zoom the scope up much more than 6x, it becomes more grainy and gathers less light. I have had it up to around 9x and it was OK, enough for me to make killing shots, but when you back it down to around 6x you can see a pretty big difference in the view. I like to video and make them clear looking as much as possible, and at 60 yards (my bait site range) you can see how good it looks. At 6x and 60 yards, I lose a bit of field-of-view, but that's not a real problem at a bait site. It could be if you are calling and you would probably want less magnification.

Also, there is a trade off between sharp and clear looking crosshair vs. target. If you adjust the lens to have a sharp crosshair, the target becomes a bit fuzzy, and if you adjust the target to be really clear, the crosshair becomes fuzzy. There is a trade off and I adjust to where I get both pretty good as you can see in the video. I could actually focus to have the fox look more clear, but the crosshair would be pretty fuzzy. Just find the sweet spot for both and you are good to go.

One other issue is that of focus. If you shoot from a stationary place, like a bait site for coyotes or hogs, you can focus the camera lens for that distance and be just fine. But, if you are using the outfit to call, and have coyotes show up anywhere from 200 yards to 30 yards, you will have a problem with focus. You can set the focus for a specific range and it will work reasonably well give or take a few yards, but when ranges vary greatly it does become an issue. Focusing when an animal is coming in could really pose a problem. I view the outfit as more suited for bait site hunting.

Weekender, Yes, the fox get a pass. Fur prices (here at least) are pretty darn low, and I like having them around anyway. I have taken a couple out in the field previously, not at the bait site, but I don't like to shoot too many of them for some reason. It's just me. I enjoy videoing them. I much prefer coyotes and keep waiting and hoping, and try to keep the night as quiet as possible too.

Good info and post on home built results and what to expect. Enjoyed the video. BTW video quality looks to be better quality then a $1200 unit I recently used.

AP

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsGood info and post on home built results and what to expect. Enjoyed the video. BTW video quality looks to be better quality then a $1200 unit I recently used.

AP

A.P., that's why I sold my Photon XT recently. The home-made version is so much clearer that I guess I have been spoiled by it. Then later when trying the Photon, I was so disappointed with the lack of good focus and clarity that I sold it.

I will own another Photon "IF" the company improves the focus and clarity of view. Personally I think the Photon is "near" to being the ideal digital NV scope for the money. It just needs some refinements and I sincerely hope the company will take notice to reviews such as this.

hey 06, good to see you are still at it. excellent video and quality. I assume you are still shooting out of your little building over a bait pile. that allows you to get creative and you do a fine job at it too!

Sureshot, thank you. I appreciate your nice words.

For me, I just try to enjoy what I do and then share the experiences with others. I enjoy learning from other members on the forums and I hope that in turn I can help others in some meaningful way as well.

Yes, I still pretty much hunt from my little hobo-shack of a cabin. It's small (8x12 foot) but I am very comfortable when I stay down there. It's peaceful and quiet and I enjoy just being there even if the hunting isn't so good, which seems to be the case most of the time nowadays. The coyote population is not what it used to be due to various factors, and that has greatly impacted my success over the last year. But, the peace and solitude of having a place to go to, to relax and think is a good reward in and of itself.

I do enjoy videoing the fox and other critters even if I don't take them. Coyotes are my main target, but they are far and inbetween these days.

Good hunting to you, and thanks for your kind words.

David

I'm late to the party on these homemade night vision devices. What's the average build cost and where can I find idiot instructions and parts list?
smile.gif

JTB, here is where I got the idea from in the first place.

I have had so many people inquire about how to put the unit together and where to get parts, that I worked up a Word document that is detailed, along with links to parts and photos, as well as some videos I have taken while using the unit. If you would like the document, I will need an e-mail address where to send it to.

As to build costs, $300 will pretty much do it and that includes an illuminator.

Back