Frozen solid coyotes

Saskcoyote78

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of coyotes Ive shot in the past 2 months , they are frozen solid. Are they gonna be OK to skin out or will they have green belly?

Chances are the will have some green belly, depends on how they were froze. hung up by the back feet not so bad, laid on their sides or stacked probably more. Not to mention as they thaw they will get worse

Last edited:
They will be fine. I have skinned several that have been frozen since October. Just make sure you give them plenty of time to thaw. Skinning partially frozen coyotes sucks!

Thats what my fur buyer told me, he made a statement like he was tired of the crap that comes in later in the winter. he said a lot of people lay them on garage floor or something, and after a couple months they are dryed out on the skin, and a lot spoil cause they aren't as cold as the people think. A guy gave me 2 coon I thought they looked great, thawed them out and started to skin them, they were slightly green and some hair was slipping, too bad they looked like good fur, I threw them away

Skinning those things cold would suck!! I tried once and heck with that, I'm not an expert but the sooner the better I would say!

Do yourself a favor and take the time to skin them the day you shoot them. You are now in a position of putting in a big effort with questionable outcome. You probably have some real nice higher dollar western silky yote pelts, but from what I hear the marginal pelts are going to be strongly discounted this year. Good luck

Thanks fellows. I hang every coyote I shoot from the back feet and they freeze not touching the ground and stay hanging till I sell them. Local guys prefer buying them whole vs skinned out, they like the skinning them themselves I guess.
Next year I get heat in my new garage and I will be skinning them out when I shoot them and doing the fleshing and stretching.

Cheers!!

They like buying them in the round because they pay you less. The bellies won't get green from freezing. That happens while they cool off. I've snared some and picked them up 1-2 days later and they sometimes have green bellies. Even if you throw them in your truck and spend a long day out you may have green bellies.

You have your trappers liscence yet? You'll need that to sell fur.

Originally Posted By: Doc25They like buying them in the round because they pay you less. The bellies won't get green from freezing. That happens while they cool off. I've snared some and picked them up 1-2 days later and they sometimes have green bellies. Even if you throw them in your truck and spend a long day out you may have green bellies.

You have your trappers liscence yet? You'll need that to sell fur.

Yeah I have it.

I just skinned out 4 this afternoon. Took my time and they turned out perfect. I have a buyer lined up hopefully I will get more for them being skinned vs. on the round.

Cheers!!

Don't overlook the auction houses as well. I think FHA charges $12.00 to ship all your furs if you make a drop off. There is also a drumming fee as well but it's not too much. I think it's less than $1.00/pelt. Not saying a buyer is going to rip you off in fact som guys do better with them. But they are in it to make money as well. Snowshoes got a real good average price for his coyotes. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Doc25Don't overlook the auction houses as well. I think FHA charges $12.00 to ship all your furs if you make a drop off. There is also a drumming fee as well but it's not too much. I think it's less than $1.00/pelt. Not saying a buyer is going to rip you off in fact som guys do better with them. But they are in it to make money as well. Snowshoes got a real good average price for his coyotes. Good luck.

For this season I just wanna keep it simple. Next season if its worth it I will cut out the middle men as much as possible.

Cheers!!

Back