muskrat question

bronco2

fellas. i went and checked my muskrat traps today and had 2 muskrat and 3 coons. but at one spot i have not cault any rats. but when i checked them this morning there where 5 muskrat swimming around in the creek and nothing in my traps. i guess i don't have what they want to eat. i lost a trap yesterday to a coon. i have some 110's baited with apples and a few pocket sets with picked corn and lure. but the rats holes are on the other side on the creek and its only about 8 or 10 feet across. so does anyone have any ideal to what i can do to draw them to my traps? thanks

i dont ever use bait so dont know much about that. but if you can find were there are chewing or poop along the bank i use # 1 jaw traps and sett the were i thank there going to come out of the water il try and take some pix of my sets if it would help

Put them in the den holes if you can get to them. Parsnips and carrots work well too. If there are no Beaver in the area aspen sticks work real good to, or another nice green softwood.

I always found rats very hard to draw with bait or lure. Make the bait very visible. Parsnips show up well from a distance. Your best bet is to concentrate on the den holes and runways to/from houses. blind sets in slides or feeder runs also produce not only rats but mink as well. good luck

Back