Eotech X320?

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntr
I fretted between the Eotech and FLIR for a couple of weeks, taking into account user reviews, length of time in service, features, customer service reputation, price, and warranty.
I ended up purchasing the Flir PS32, scheduled delivery 10/08/14. \
I am curious about what basis you made the decision on. Was it price? I have a PS32 and like it. Thought about the Eotech, but it seems to me that there is not enough difference to justify the higher cost of the Eotech. First readings about the Eotech impressed me, but I really don't see the value now.

I am curious about what basis you made the decision on. Was it price? I have a PS32 and like it. Thought about the Eotech, but it seems to me that there is not enough difference to justify the higher cost of the Eotech. First readings about the Eotech impressed me, but I really don't see the value now.[/quote]

I chose the Flir mainly based on 3 things.

#1. Ten year warranty on the FLIR processor. That's a long time.

#2. There are just not enough user reviews available on the Eotech. I do realize that it is
fairly new to the scene, but I was too nervous to spend that much money on a unit that has not been repeatedly proven in the field.

#3. Flir, at least right now, seems to be an industry leader with a proven product and a proven customer service. To make a long story short, the FLIR name is what sold me.

I received the PS32 Tuesday. This is the first thermal that I have ever used so I can't compare it to anything else, but I am pretty happy with what this little unit does.
Just playing around, I laid my cell phone down in the yard. Then I went and got my wife and asked her to find it with the FLIR. The FLIR was set on red 1. It was about 20 yards from her and as soon as she put the FLIR to her eye she spotted it, no problem. So, as I explained to her, thank goodness that "WE" have a FLIR so we can find those lost cell phones.

Last edited:
^^^^^^
Your 3 assumptions are pretty much it. FLIR has served me well and that's it. Sure there's other top of the line, but remember when hunting at night be sure of a positive ID. Thermal is for detection. Use a NV devise for proper ID'ing.
1) detection
2) ID
3) target

Thanks for the response. Those are pretty much the reasons I chose FLIR. First among them is Flir's excellent customer service. Second was price. I was a little concerned about the refresh rate, but I've found in practice that it is hardly an issue. I sure like that red alert feature. It can make a scan very productive. I've used mine a lot, and the internal battery has NEVER been an issue for me.

Just wondering if anyone has had any time behind the EOTech x320 since we last talked about this here last October. Going to pull the trigger on a PS32 vs x320 the first of Feb. They can both be had for around $3000 +/-. Still undecided despite the info above. Wish I knew if anything is coming out at the Shot Show for around the same money.

If I was looking to buy, I would wait till after shot show. I think prices are coming down because of new stuff coming out. I've seen some reduced prices on PS24's and PS32's lately. There are some deals out there and I think there will be more.

Originally Posted By: Bone breaker 73

Not sure on the 18 or 24 degrees FOV.
It must have a 2x zoom setting which would make the FOV smaller.

That X640 looks pretty nice. The extra clarity should extend the range of detection. I expect that products like that are forthcoming and that will depress the market on the PS24 and Ps32's. When you consider the best purpose of a thermal monocular it is detection and, for me, that purpose is served with my PS32. Although the extra clarity sure is tempting, I will probably stick with what I have. If I were buying today, the Scottish blood in me would push me towards a lower cost PS32. I might augment that someday soon with an RS32 35mm but I if you hunt with thermal, you still have to verify identity with something till you become adept with thermal. I can pretty well tell what I'm looking at with thermal, but I still use something else to identify before I send a round. It gets a little tough sometimes to move from thermal to scope. The time taken will sometimes let the critter have time to move on. For this reason, I want a thermal rifle scope. Gotta let my budget catch up first though.

I owned and used the PS32 for two seasons, rented the X320 for a weekend, bought a LS64, Pulsar HD19s, and OTS-X with 19mm and 30mm lens. Straight up I perfered the X320 over my PS32 , but both models suffer with a small LCD viewer which works but isnt something to write home about. The pulsar 19S image wise looks way better to your eye than both the ps32 or x320 models because it has a big bright OLED viewer.. I bought the OTS-X over the X320 because it had a much nicer OLED viewer which makes the contrast and image clarity much sharper. The X320 is based on a mil-spec proven housing that's tough as nails and been used all over the world so don't worry about it's ruggedness it's a great unit. Personally I'm eyeing the new X640 I just hope they put a bigger LCD screen on the model to get the most out of the 640 core.

One thing I really like about the Thermal Eye's LCD screen is that I can dim it way down a hold it up to my head mounted PVS-14 and get a perfect image. Doesn't bloom out at all.

Back