Back from the west was slow but fun. 6MM worked!

MasterBlaster

Bangpop and I went west again hoping to make a big pile. We ended up with 5 total. So kind of slow but still very much enjoyed. Bangpop started us off the last call of the first day we had seen one in a hay field made a big loop around and set up to call it. It never showed up but the cows ratted out one that was mousing in an other direction. Bangpop ranged it and was 650yds with a wind behind us. I told him to get his behind down closer to it and away he went 22-250 in hand. I stayed put as a spotter and ran the call some more. It never came closer but Bangpop closed the gap to 450 yds lined him up and let drive. I saw the bullet hit him and the heard WOP it took off running for about 30 yds and flipped end over end. Too dark for the hero shot but dead coyote.

The next day hunted most of the day but the last call was the winner. Made a call where we had seen one go 2 hrs before. He watched north and I went south, 8 mins in, his 22-250 banged again SPLASH #2 200yds .

Day 3 hunted most of the day but nothing to show for it got winded by one first stand and no shot.

First set day 4 found us next to a creek over looking the bottom. Saw 4 or 5, two came to about 450yds and that was it. Windy, down hill, Bangpop tried one but NO JOY. Next set I had seen one cross the creek so moved to where we thought we could call him,walking to the stand we spooked one so moved up a little more and sat down. Stared the call and one popped up out front came to 300yds and started to walk down a draw going away from us he stopped at 285yds and I got to try out my 6 MM Remington load I worked up.It worked what a way to go this is where he dropped.
imagejpg1_zps8be18071.jpg

After I shot we saw one go west and watched it go around a bend so we went after it.popped over a ridge and saw him, set up to call and it came right in Bangpop smashed him at about 150yds.
imagejpg3_zps4456a67e.jpg

Day 5 nothing we saw some. 1st set we sat down and I spotted one before we called sitting in the sun, started the call he gets up and walks away at least he looked our way first. Next call saw one way out there so I moved up on it got to with in 500yds and there were 2 of them they would look but that was it.
Last day made one call back by the creek had one come across the frozen water and walk up to me 100yds SPLASH the 223IMP smashed him.
imagejpg2_zpscbabd1ab.jpg

One had mange the other 4 were good. Drove home Game over.

MASTERBLASTER

Last edited by a moderator:
That 6mm Remington put a stop to that coyote right now! I was giving the old Tally-Ho everything I had when MB says "Got on coming in straight ahead." It took me a second or five to get him spotted, then when he refused to come across a little drainage ditch we talked it over and decided that he wasn't coming any closer. I ranged him a couple of times right at 285 and relayed that info to the man in the gunners seat. At the crack of the gun the first thing that hit the ground was that coyotes chin. Pretty good shooting for a guy that normally carries an AR. It helps keep my blood pressure down when they drop like that.

That coyote way out in the hay meadow that was a pretty good team effort as well. The Blaster knew something was on the way in since the calves were looking at something to our south. After giving him a chance to come to us by trying a couple of different sounds, it was pretty obvious that the coyote was more interested in mousing than what we had to say. I really didn't think that it was possible to move from our stand location without spooking the coyote. But the combination of sunset at our backs and his interest in pouncing on mice made it work. I was able to cover about 200 yards to the last hump at the edge of the meadow which put me at about 450 yards. It took a few seconds to find the target again in the dim light and range him. I have a scope with a custom dot reticle so all that was left to do was gap him between the 400 and 500 yard dots and let her go. I lost sight of the coyote at the shot, but I clearly heard the bullet hit and then I hear "YES!" from about 200 yards behind me. The Blaster had voiced his approval of the proceedings.

Hunting was a lot tougher than 6 weeks ago with the frozen ground and a big snow between now and then. It drives the coyotes out of the areas where we normally hunt them into areas that make it more challenging to get into a good calling position. We did spend a little time doing some productive things other than calling. We got access to another ranch for next year that is about 40,000 acres.
thumbup1.gif
Tough job but someone has to do it. All things considered it was a good trip with a good partner even if I do have to double my blood pressure medication when it's his turn to shoot.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrGreat story guys. What stock is that in the second picture? The gap camo stock That is a McMillan M40 General Purpose Hunting in Desert Camo. It makes for a good setup with a number 5 taper barrel.

I think we might be able to figure out how to build one of those. We'll get us a die to thread you up a barrel. And then we can put a chamber in it with a drill. Probably have to polish it out a little but that shouldn't take to long. I guess it will work.
grin.gif

Back