Varget & 308W?

GaryO

How does Varget rate with this cartridge using 150 grain bullets? BTW: what is the correct way to pronounce Varget? Var-get, or Var-gay? Thanks...

Most people love it in the .308. I have personally had more success with both H and IMR 4895 with 150gr bullets than I did with Varget. I was able to get best accuracy at top speeds with H4895.

It will depend on your rifle though. One of my .308's loves IMR4064 as much as the other likes H4895.

It's Var-GET as far as I know
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
i've been able to develop MOA grade loads with my LR308 (16") and 168 amax over varget, but i have yet to see a ridiculously accurate load in my gun with it yet. I've had some very respectable luck with H4895, having a sub 3/4" accuracy node right around 37 grains with the same bullet. Unfortunatly i didnt have my chrono when i worked those groups, but will next time around.

bolt gun shooters seem to be absolutely in love with the powder and getting amazing results. This whole carbine gas .308 definitely adds a new layer of challenge to the process in tuning such a short gas system on a cartridge this size.

i also plan to test out some CFE223 this coming spring and see what i can make those do.

Last edited:
Like a couple of the other posters I tried Varget in my last couple 308's and it was good but H4895 was better with bullets from 110 gr to 168's.

Originally Posted By: GaryOHow does Varget rate with this cartridge using 150 grain bullets? BTW: what is the correct way to pronounce Varget? Var-get, or Var-gay? Thanks...

It's Var Get as in Varmint and Target...

Varget seems to work well in most all 308 family cartridges. Meters like crap, but shoots well.

I really like varget. I'm using it as a universal powder. 204,223,243 and 308. I don't shoot pd's so I weigh all my charges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760 Meters like crap, but shoots well.

my accuracy loads for 223 and 30-06 are both varget loads. the metering issues is why i got my chargemaster.

for those metering with the chargemaster i HIGHLY recommend the mcdonalds straw mod. REEEEEELY helps with more consistent drops with less multi kernel drops in the final trickle that cause over-throws.

I was able to best Varget every time I tried with IMR4064 and RL-15. Varget is more temp stable but for some reaosn, I just couldn't get the results with it that I could with the others.

If I could have only one powder for my .308 itd be varget. Its not always been the most accurate with all the bullets ive tried but never bad and its incredibly versatile in the .308, it always just works.

Originally Posted By: GaryOHow does Varget rate with this cartridge using 150 grain bullets? BTW: what is the correct way to pronounce Varget? Var-get, or Var-gay? Thanks...

Pronounced Var-Get
Varget is good with some rifles but with other 308 caliber rifles just like other members have said. Re-15 H-4895 or even IMR 4895 and sometimes 4064. Tac is like varget in that it is temp insensitive so is RE-15 Just not as widely advertised. I had a Rem 700 when loaded with varget and 168 SMKs it outshot the expensive Federal match grade ammo using the same bullets. But you ask for the 150 grain why ? The 165 gr Nosler partitions outshine it any day and the 125 gr with several choices of powder can shoot circles around a lot of 150 grain fodder. Nothing really against the 150 but 165 and 308 is a match just like the 180 grain and the 30-06 is too. Look at your twist rate and then be careful on your bullet choice The plastic tipped versions many times shoot more accurate than the Soft Lead tipped. and Bergers have to have faster twists generally. This is what I call the fun part of reloading. Start working on different loads and bullet combinations. Varget will find its home with one of them. If you are not dead set on Varget you can try any of the other powders listed here and probably have good results. I even new of a man that used RE19 I never had any luck with it But with a 150 grain and the IMR 8208 it does good with a couple of rifles.YEP Each gun is different and likes different round combos. Keep accurate data on all loads because what works well in spring for coyotes or even long range PD may not return the same results when the temp drops, no matter what the manufacturer claims. Good luck and good shooting.

Two of the best powders for a 308 are varget and R15. Others work, some better and some worse, depending on the rifle/shooter. If you want to find something consistent stick with varget and R15.

Varget, have used it in a .308 and .223 with various brand/weight bullets. Decent results with it most of the time. However, I consider it on the dirty side. Commented about this one day at range with a couple of my fellow members, who are more experienced at me when it comes to reloading. They agreed with me about the "dirty comment". While I still keep and use Varget, I prefer Alliant R15 over it. Ask our 800 member range club president, an avid hunter, shooter, reloader which to use and he'll recommend the R15 before Varget. Regardless of my comments, Varget is a good powder.

Back