.223 load question

Xw00dsrac3rX

Ok, I have a .223 question for you guys using them. I have a pile of 50 grain vmax hornady bullets at the house and want to make good use of them in the .223 but have not had good results thus far.

I cant get it shooting under 2.3 inches at 100 yards with the 50 grain vmax, using a CCI 400 primer, with 27.3 grain of CFE223.

I recently picked up a pound of benchmark since ive been told that 25.5 is a sweet load of benchmark with the 50 grain.

BTW this is a 1:12 twist remington 700 SPS varmint gun.

Any help out there?

ok will do. Im gonna start probably at 25.0 and work up from there. Im more curious if anyone is shooting 50's out of there .223. I know its a pretty sweet pill for the 22-250's. 55 grain shoots well from my 223 but I have 600 or so of the 50 grains at the moment so would like to use them up

Benchmark is THE 223 powder as far as I'm concerned. I run 25.5 for 53 grainers. What is your overall length? You might try seating your bullets out further, there should be plenty of room in the mag on that rifle.

Is this a new rifle, has it shot well in the past with another load?

ill measure OAL when I get home. Whats an OAL you reccommend. I think I was using the lyman book for reference.

1 year old rifle but shooting well with factory 55 grain soft point ammo I had laying around.

Originally Posted By: Xw00dsrac3rXill measure OAL when I get home. Whats an OAL you reccommend. I think I was using the lyman book for reference.

1 year old rifle but shooting well with factory 55 grain soft point ammo I had laying around.

I don't have a 223 at the moment that I can load longer than 2.260 so I don't have a recommendation. I do however own a 700 ADL Varmint 22-250 and a 700 Compact 243, both rifles are far more picky about COL than powder charge. I believe I have one .020 off the lands and the other .040 off the lands. Both over book length, I was very frustrated in load development until I really started playing with col.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fredhorace77its probably that junk sps stock and also needs a good scrubbing.

Wow you really know what your talking about huh?

Does that look like plastic? Don't be a jackass

I shoot the 50 grain VMax in several of my 223's, and it is the bullet I use for most of my predator hunting. In my Model 7 Predator, my favorite load is 27.5 grains of WC846, and that's because I have a lot of the powder, it is a super accurate load, and it gave me my most consistent reading on the chronograph. I have also used W748, BLC-2, H335, TAC, and Benchmark that gave good results. If I ever run out of the 846 and can't get anymore, I would try W748 and H335 before I used anything else.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98I shoot the 50 grain VMax in several of my 223's, and it is the bullet I use for most of my predator hunting. In my Model 7 Predator, my favorite load is 27.5 grains of WC846, and that's because I have a lot of the powder, it is a super accurate load, and it gave me my most consistent reading on the chronograph. I have also used W748, BLC-2, H335, TAC, and Benchmark that gave good results. If I ever run out of the 846 and can't get anymore, I would try W748 and H335 before I used anything else.

thank you!

If it's a .223 and it won't shoot with a moderate load of Benchmark ...... you got a problem. Benchmark is a great powder for most any bullet in that rifle.

I have a 1/12 twist 700 SPS Tactical and use both TAC and W-748 with almost all my loads for it..Mainly because they both meter so well and the TAC seems to burn cleaner than others that I have tried..

By the way,,mine has a HS Tactical stock and is currently set up with an 8-32x optic that lets me do some 'pin point', or eye ball, shooting...
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: Xw00dsrac3rXOriginally Posted By: fredhorace77its probably that junk sps stock and also needs a good scrubbing.

X love that rifle stand,nice,we cant do that here in "The Peoples Republik" I have the SPS in .17 Fire ball, shoots great.. I agree with these guys the Benchmark should work well..I use the 50 grain Vmax in my 22-250 because it loves them, my Ar's like 52 grain Speers or 55 grain Nosler Varmageddon's.. With the slower twist you should do well with the combo you have... Also I found with every Remington 700 I have and I have three, I had to stick the bullets way out to get to the lands because of all the free bore Remington's have, my 22-250 shot like crap till I shot 300 rounds through it..Then to tighten the groups I played with stick out... And that was a nice VSF, My SPS was great out of the box once I got rid of the plastic stock..

I havent tried the benchmark yet, but have a pound on the bench. What I had said before, was that it wasnt shooting well with CFE223.

yea its shooting factory ammo like a champ at .67" at 100 yds with 55 grain soft point hornady ammo. Im confident that Ill get it dialed in with handloads but was looking to see numbers and brands others were using

Originally Posted By: Xw00dsrac3rXOriginally Posted By: fredhorace77its probably that junk sps stock and also needs a good scrubbing.

no, since you didnt elaborate on what model of sps, i just figured it was that piece of junk stock featured in your avatar pic. dont get so ralled up over ur lack of info, leaving me to guess what ur talking about.

Last edited:
Back