2 wolves, one shot

thumbup.gif

All though a double is cool, it is not a ethical shot. And even worse it was not planned! He threw out one basic rule we teach all new shooters, Know your target and what's beyond! This same mistake on most tag based hunts could cost you your hunting privilege's.

Originally Posted By: VelvetHammerAll though a double is cool, it is not a ethical shot. And even worse it was not planned! He threw out one basic rule we teach all new shooters, Know your target and what's beyond! This same mistake on most tag based hunts could cost you your hunting privilege's.
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: VelvetHammerAll though a double is cool, it is not a ethical shot. And even worse it was not planned! He threw out one basic rule we teach all new shooters, Know your target and what's beyond! This same mistake on most tag based hunts could cost you your hunting privilege's.
My understanding is this was in Canada where killing wolves is not a tag based hunt. You will also find a diversity of ethics in the Hog Heaven forum.

Personally, I don't think it was an accident he doubled after watching that video. The article doesn't match up to the video either. It is the second wolf that just rolls over dead; the first (intended target) is the one that runs off lung shot it looks to me like. Likely a once in a life time opportunity.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI agree, that is what you call Collateral.

Indeed!!!

I don't think any special tags are required to kill wolves in Canada, and there is NO daily or seasonal limit either.

I've hunted in the area of this hunt. It is north of the oil sands we hear so much about in the news. Lots of vehicle traffic and getting busier every year.

Here's a wolf I called and shot in that area. It used to be good for moose but with the expansion of the oil sands , a lot more men are in the area and the moose are a lot harder to come by, so the wolf numbers are down. He said in the video that he had been baiting there for 4 years before he got this opportunity.

P1010008.jpg

It definitely isn't the same as hunting coyotes.

In Alberta we have no bag limits on wolves or coyotes and residents do not need tags or licenses.

The same rules apply to non residents, except they require a hunting license and a wolf/coyote license. The licenses are about $75. Non residents also need a guide to hunt big game or wolves in Alberta.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogI've hunted in the area of this hunt. It is north of the oil sands we hear so much about in the news. Lots of vehicle traffic and getting busier every year.

Here's a wolf I called and shot in that area. It used to be good for moose but with the expansion of the oil sands , a lot more men are in the area and the moose are a lot harder to come by, so the wolf numbers are down. He said in the video that he had been baiting there for 4 years before he got this opportunity.

P1010008.jpg

It definitely isn't the same as hunting coyotes.

In Alberta we have no bag limits on wolves or coyotes and residents do not need tags or licenses.

The same rules apply to non residents, except they require a hunting license and a wolf/coyote license. The licenses are about $75. Non residents also need a guide to hunt big game or wolves in Alberta.

Awesome taxidermy Redfrog! Congrats!

Last edited:
Back