First time duck hunter. Questions

sumrifle

I have been hunting birds, small game and big game for 40 years. I have never hunted waterfowl. That is about to change come December 17th. I will shoot my Remington 870 3" and have a bunch of shells. Not sure what the experienced duck hunter would choose and why.

I am going with an experienced waterfowl hunter. He belongs to a duck club and is a Warden with CA DFW. I ordered waders from Bass Pro Shops and think I have everything else I need.

Would you use Improved Cylinder Choke or Modified? What size shot do you prefer?

I like to use steel 2s or 3s. I general shoot improved choke but switch to modified if birds are educated.

Thanks after posting I Google searched the question and got a few different answers but #2 for most ducks and BB or BBB for Geese seems to be generally accepted. I think I will plan on #2 and see what my friend suggests.

I prefer 3 inch 2's with a modified choke. I use 2 3/4 inch 4's for early season close shooting or when floating a small river jump shooting.

Last edited:
I would go with #2 as well UNLESS you are specifically targeting Teal, in which case I would go smaller.

Am I correct I need to go to Post Office to get Federal Duck Stamp? Regular Gun Store or other that sell CA license for State Stamp? Thanks for the input. I will take #2's and some smaller and I suppose BB or BBB in case the Geese are there.

Originally Posted By: sumrifleAm I correct I need to go to Post Office to get Federal Duck Stamp?

Last time I bought one you had to go to a First-Class Post Office to get the federal stamp, but that was several years ago. That might have changed.

I like and use steel 2 shot with improved cylinder in my Auto 5 for ducks. As recommended above, for teal I step down to 5 shot and for geese I might move up to 1 shot or BB (unless geese come by while I have 2 shot in, then I use that).

You should be able to get your duck stamp at a main branch of the US post office. However, our local Wal-Marts also carry them. Does California also have a state duck stamp? Might check on that, as some states do.

I like to use 2's and BB's for ducks and geese both. I shoot 3 1/2 inch only. I put my first 2 shots as #2's and 3rd is BB. In washington you can get the federal stamp at any license dealer or post office. I use full choke for most hunting unless I am hunting a small pond or timber that gets mostly close shots.

Well the Duck hunt last Wednesday was more than I could have hoped for. I went up Tuesday night and met my host. After carrying in my sleeping bag, clothes and shotgun, I carried in firewood and vacuumed while he cleaned up a bit. Other members and guests arrived and we got to know each other a bit. Fresh Dungeness Crab, New York Steaks and Green Wing Teal was on the menu for dinner. It was all very good.

The next morning we all got up and ate Pumpkin bread and had coffee. Rode quads about a mile to the spot and entered the water. We walked about a quarter mile out to our blind and got ready. at 0641 it was legal and the ducks were already flying. It did not take me long to be able to differentiate the Buffleheads and Spoonies that we did not want from the Green Wing Teal that we did. Shaun had a Black Lab "Ridge" who was great. Trerived the first 12 birds right back to us. After Shaun had his 7 Green Wing Teal and I had 5 I hit one that set his wings and traveled aways before hitting the water head up swimming but not able to fly. Ridge did not see it and Shaun nicely walked out and Ridge followed. Duck swam in to some reeds and it took a bit before Ridge was able to get it but he did. One more to go!

My last bird also did not die right away and was diving and getting away from the dog. Shaun went out after that one also as I picked up the empties and got ready to head back. We never took a shot at any ducks that were not Green Wing Teal. We each got 6 Drake and one Hen.

Out of the 9 hunters on the club that morning two had to leave early for other committments and only had one bird between the two of them. They left by 0800. The other 7 of us all got limits of ducks. So 7 hunters had 49 Ducks or 9 hunter had 50 Ducks.

We saw some Geese that were real high no shots taken. We saw some Mallards after we were back, cleaned ducks and changed clothes. I would say I am spoiled and want to go back again. Not sure how realistic my view is. If I hunt other than private club like a National Wildlife refuge will I be disappointed? This was great because the decoys were already placed. There was only 9 of us hunting a good sized area. The club is 287 acres but only half is flooded due to drought. I am but sure how much acreage we were actually using.

Walking 1/4 mile in 1-2' water was not bad as there is a gravel path to our blind so the walking was easy. We only shot at Green Wing Teal never firing a single shot at any other Duck. Very good experience. I want to do it again.

Depending on what kind of ducks I was hunting it could go either way from #2 to #3 and mod to ic. If they are decoying mallards or puddle ducks go with ic. And #3 if you are shooting divers go with mod and #2

sumrifle... I guess pk1 and reaper4 didn't read the previous statements in this thread.
Otherwise, they would have known you had ALREADY been on your hunt.
Anyway... I'm glad you had a wonderful hunt with your somewhat new found hunting partner. A special thanks to the warden for "taking one, making one".
I wish my first duck hunting experience had been so wonderfully productive as yours. But, I have had a ball. I have been enjoying my waterfowl hunting for YEARS.
May you have MANY more years of wonderful waterfowl hunting experiences.

I have put in for a reservation for the Wildlife Reguge 30 miles from my house. It is one of the best ones with high duck numbers but it is difficult to get drawn. I am actively looking for public or private property opportunities. It was a great hunt and huge numbers of ducks have just moved in to our area. Just need a spot.

Well, old timer. You've been hunting almost as long as I have, save for a couple of decades. And, yes sir, I go with Modified choke and you can use #4, #2 in steel and take some BB with you, as well. Good luck and have fun!

Back