Can.... 17 HMR...be REAMED OUT to... 17 WSM...?

I do not know. So, skip the rest if you like, I'm just thinking out loud here.

But you would first want to look at reamer prints for both. Again, I do not know, but do wonder if the shoulder of the HMR is not larger than the body of the WSM at that point? Maybe not, but it's something you need to be sure of.

Chamber pressure is of course the big issue. The WSM runs about 33K if I remember right, while the HMR is considerably lower - ~25K maybe? Meaning, even if the barrel of an HMR can simply be re-chambered to WSM, the action might not be strong enough? But again, I don't know.

Things to think about, I guess.

- DAA

On a Contender/Encore/Handi Rifle, maybe. Extractor would need changed if the chamber dimensions work out to ream as mentioned above. But in bolt rimfires, the pressures are most likely too high as DAA said, and one of the reasons they are having to design new guns for it. The existing rimfire actions and mags are generally too short too.

If I had a 17 wsm cartridge in hand...then I'd try it in a hmr magazine to see if it would fit... does anyone out there have that in hand...?

From what I understand.....it cannot (but I'm no expert).

1) 17WSM chamber pressure is too high for a 17HMR receiver/barrel (17WSM - 33,000 psi, 17HMR - 26,000 psi). Maybe you could get around that problem with a specific 17WSM barrel ??
2) 17WSM in based on a 27cal(nail gun ?)round. The base (rim) is larger diameter than a standard 17/22 rimfire so the firing pin and extractor on a 17HMR aren't far enough out to strike and extract.

I have some 17WSM at home, I'll see if they'll fit into a 17HMR mag and post pics tonight.

Found this posted here;
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2399321

Thats BULL my 17wsm is a one hole shooter at 50 yds---and under 1" AT 100-----BUT I have a 24" barrel from MGM for my Contender, I'm very pleased with it---Hits Hard DRT on coons, porky's, woodchucks, and super fun on crows--Haven't kill a coyote with it yet but bet it'll do fine--have killed a number with my 17HMR and not lost a one but I did lose a gray fox with the hmr,also shot a 45# Bobcat with the HMR in 2004 at 37yds didn't go 10 yds---By Law we in Michigan have to use a rimfire or shotgun at night--Wsm is by far the best rimfire--2 cents----back to the question-I'm sure you can't ream your 17 hmr to 17 wsm at least that what a smith told me.--svb

Last edited:
EDIT: Prefacing my post by pointing out the obvious that my statements will apply only to magazine fed, repeating action, or other ported actions, and NOT to single shot break rifles like the NEF/H&R single shot rifles.

I have no doubt that the 17WSM is over powered for any of the other rimfire actions out there on the market.

I would guarantee it will not fit in any current magazines - it's too large diameter, and considerably too long. Holding it next to my 93 and XT17, I'm not convinced that they could be safely made to eject a loaded round either. I don't even believe it would fit in a tube style magazine - again, too large diameter.

Originally Posted By: DAAI do not know, but do wonder if the shoulder of the HMR is not larger than the body of the WSM at that point?

The WSM is a larger diameter cartridge at the rim and body, and considerably longer than the HMR. The VERY VERY TIP of the case mouth of the HMR JUST BARELY reaches the BASE of the neck of the WSM - in other words - reaming to WSM would cut the entire chamber except for a few thousandths of the tip of the chamber neck, such that the WSM neck would START where the HMR neck used to end, so the neck and throat would move fully forward of it's past position.

If a guy simply looks at side by side pics of the HMR and the WSM, they'll see for themselves and these questions would end. The WSM empty case is as long as the entire HMR loaded cartridge.

Last edited:
There is a guy on RFC that has done this very thing with a 17HMR NEF Sportster.
Also check out same on GB
I hear its very accurate!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Varminterror
If a guy simply looks at side by side pics of the HMR and the WSM, they'll see for themselves and these questions would end.

No. It was looking at a picture of them side by side that prompted my question. Not put an end to it. Just looking at a picture, it looked "possible" that the shoulder diameter on the HMR was as large as the body diameter on that point of the WSM. I don't think you understood what I was asking, but, you answered it anyway, if a WSM reamer would completely clean up an HMR chamber.

- DAA

I made this same post over in Rimfirecentral. Below are answers from two different guys.

On single shots it can be, it cannot be on bolt or lever actions due to the difference in the bolt face and action length.

Yes. Search this forum. Others have reamed out H&R Handi Rifles, with good results. There is a commercial reamer available.

You'll have to find the threads.

Originally Posted By: crapshootIf. Could find an extra NEF 17HMR barrel and someone to do the work, that would be awesome.

I did it last year as a little project and was not happy with the results. I think the issue I had is the smith left the ejector in while reaming to cut the ejector at the same time. I believe this pushed the reamer and caused a bad chamber. A spent shell rotated 90 deg would not close, and I had horrible key holing issues at distances even less than 50 yards.

If you do it, I would definitely do it without the ejector and than hand fit the ejector after the fact. I would be interested to hear how it turns out if you do. FWIW I had no pressure or firing issues in the 50 rounds I shot.

17Compared6df5cb.jpg

17-WSM-vs-17-HMR-vs-22LR-534x600.jpg

17-winchester-super-magnum-specs-2.jpg

.17 HMR Specs
Parent case .22 WMR
Bullet diameter .172 in (4.4 mm)
Neck diameter .190 in (4.8 mm)
Shoulder diameter .238 in (6.0 mm)
Base diameter .238 in (6.0 mm)
Rim diameter .286 in (7.3 mm)
Case length 1.058 in (26.9 mm)
Overall length 1.349 in (34.3 mm)
Primer type Rimfire
Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
17 gr (1.1 g) 2,550 ft/s (780 m/s) 245 ft·lbf (332 J)
20 gr (1.3 g) 2,350 ft/s (720 m/s) 250 ft·lbf (340 J)

Looks like the 17wsm shoulder is.269 and the 17hmr shoulder is .238

Good job showing the specs on that, Yellowhammer.

A conversion sounds like a great idea, but may not be practical considering the issues that plague it, and the cost involved. Would be nice though.

On the other hand, Ruger is, to my understanding, releasing a 77 rimfire in that caliber in the near future. That will be a sweet rifle in my opinion. If only CZ would jump on the bandwagon too, and who knows, they may yet.

Yes, there is a Ruger 17 WSM bolt at the SHOT show now as a prototype. Who knows on release date.......must be figuring that there will be some 20 and 22 cal versions too if their gonna build a whole new action and mag set-up for it. May lead to the demise of the 17 HMR even?!?!? LOL!

Back