Best aftermarket AR trigger

eric adams

I just bought a 24 wssm in a ar15 (Olympic arms). I was wondering if anyone had opinions on a good aftermarket trigger. For those of you with experience with the bigger ar calibers can I use a single stage 3lb trigger? Thanks in advance

I put a cmc flat trigger with a 3.5lb pull in my ar I'm building. It's a single stage. Fes reel smooth and crisp.I haven't gotten to shoot it yet can't wait to test it out. Can't go wrong with geissele either

Best trigger for an AR for smooth pull, clean break, simplicity, durability and safety is either the Geiselle SSA or SSA-E or their flat trigger variations. The long pull of the standard AR trigger and the two stage trigger prevent doubling and unintentional discharges when rough handling causes sear bounce.

The single stage AR triggers lack the long sear engagement to prevent sear bounce but instead, rely on a half-cock position to catch the hammer.

Single stage triggers with short sear engagements are fine for manually operated rifles but I'd rather not have them in a self loader with a thirty round mag

Flat trigger bow or curved is according to shooter's preference

Last edited:
I like a single stage trigger, so I prefer the Timney that's in one of my AR's. But, I also have a couple of rifles that have the Rock River 2 stage triggers. and they work pretty good.

I have a Chip McCormick in my competition AR .223 and like it a lot,,It's 'drop in' and no adjustments to worry about having to fool with down the line..Breaks crisply at about 3# and reliable..

It really depends on the type of shooting you do the most...For hunting, or light use, there are a lot of good ones on the market...For severe, or hard/high round, use, the simpler, the better..If you are into slow fire type competitions, then the highly adjustable will make you happier..

I've had one of the JP triggers and it has a couple of adjustment points..Their instructions for installation were not really clear to me at the time (hopefully that's improved) and I was at the point of sending the lower and trigger to them for adjustment for a minor charge..

A lot of people have personal preferences between a single and two stage trigger..For most shooting, I prefer the two stage, but the single stage has it's benefits as well for certain applications..My CMC is a single stage and works well for action competitions..

Originally Posted By: eric adamsI just bought a 24 wssm in a ar15 (Olympic arms). I was wondering if anyone had opinions on a good aftermarket trigger. For those of you with experience with the bigger ar calibers can I use a single stage 3lb trigger? Thanks in advance

I prefer the Timney for a single stage and the Geiselle for two stage.

Enjoy the 25 WSSM, they are fun once you get the bugs and load worked out.

If you have to ask, then you don't have a geissle.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bushyIf you have to ask, then you don't have a geissle.
smile.gif

I have geissele's high speed match rifle, which is capable of being their lightest trigger. for the money though the RRA varmint trigger is about as good. RRA makes 2 different 2 stage triggers which alot of people seem confused about. national match and varmint.

IMO a 2 stage trigger is one of the best things about shooting an ar 15. quickly take up that first stage and with a 1# final pull, targets get hit and coyotes end up dead. out of 16 ar 15 coyote kills I have done, I have yet to miss a coyote I should have hit. I have made the best shots of my life with the gun. 2 stage trigger is very much part of that success. I would never think about a single stage in an AR

For the top two stage a Gieselle High Speed. For a single stage the BTE unit is hard to beat. I've run it hard and am satisfied the reliability is top tier.

Greg

I use three Timney 3#, one in a 243 WSSM all used for predator hunting and am extremely pleased with function. Easy drop in installation, is a bonus.

Regards,
hm

My breaking point is generally that anything that lays on a bench or on a shooting mat has a Geiselle 2 stage curved (just can't get myself accustomed to flat triggers), but anything that spends most of its life in the field doesn't get quite as much investment capital to play with, so I use Bushmaster NM 2 stages or RRA Varmint Match's. 2 stage all the way for me. The rationale for me is based on the fact that I can get 2 of the Bushy's or RRA's for the price of the Geis.

I'm one of the position that a trigger does NOT make a rifle more accurate, it just makes the shooter less prone to f**k up and make a good rifle look bad. The RRA and Bushy triggers are serviceable for me. Over-travel stops help me a lot, polishing helps any trigger, eliminating/minimizing creep as well, and pull weight can be equal on any of them as well.

I like the RRA two stage NM. I think they are great for the money. I have 3, in a .223, .308, and a 6.8. Lots and lots of rounds through these. They serve well for hunting and work pretty good on the bench too.

Originally Posted By: KizmoAnother vote for the Geiselle SSA-E.

This.

Originally Posted By: bushyIf you have to ask, then you don't have a geissle.
smile.gif

...and this.

There are a lot of votes for Geissele on here. They are a proven trigger and if you have the coin knock yourself out. I will say this, however, after having shot my buddies Geissele and comparing it side-by-side to my mil spec polished hammer/sear with JP reduced springs in conjunction with the Joe Bobs grip screw I have a really hard time justifying purchasing a $200+ trigger. My stock, mil spec trigger (polished) with the JP springs does every bit as good as the Geissele. Let's just assume for a minute that the Geissele does slightly outperform my trigger (which I would argue it does not) is it worth an extra $180?

Not slamming the Geissele triggers, as I mentioned they are proven, but I wouldn't spend my $ on one. I doubt you will see any increased performance. Just my $0.02

Back