Ar10,,,? 260,.308 or ..338 fed.

coyotex

Trying to figure out which one I want between the 3.
I was almost set on the .338,, but read about reloading and pressure issues,,, I know quite a few here run the .260 rem and .308. Any pros and cons would be appreciated, , rifle will be mostly for target shooting,ringing steel and such,,, maybe some out of state hogs,thanks for any imput!

X

Not sure why the 338 would have pressure issues other than not being reloaded properly, a friend has one and has never mentioned any issues like that.

Ringing steel and the occasional hog I would be going with the .260. Especially if you reload and shoot long range. The bullets you will be shooting will have a higher BC than the .308 or .338. My next choice is the .308 due to ammo availability. 338 federal would be my last choice out of them especially for long range.
.260 high BC, very flat shooting, less affected by the wind.
.308 ammo availability, tried and true, a wide bullet selection, decent BC
.338 federal just not great for long range, ammo availability not so great. If I was using a 338 for long range it would be a 338 RUM or 338 lapua.

Last edited:
400D1F5D-C5E2-4226-8E54-6E9C88393279.jpg

Here's my 260. It's a coyote killing machine. The 308 or 338 are a little ballistically challenged in my opinion. However, while it seems fairly easy to find factory 260 ammo these days, I would say that hand loading is the only way to really take advantage of all the 260 has to offer. If you don't hand load and plan to shoot 300 yards or less, then go with the 308.

Something seems very right about an AR-10 in 338Fed. Maybe the extra bullet weight and momentum would finally give justification for all of the extra weight in the AR-10. It'd sure help cut down on some recoil energy.

For anything long range and for anything hunting my choice would be the 260. That long bullet with it's high ballistic coefficient is well suited for both. The high B.C. helps it to sail out there when going long and it also helps it to penetrate through bone and mass to get to the vitals and kill. When I went on a hog hunt to kill a Russian boar the guide said, "you have to aim right for the shoulder...not just behind it." "The only way to kill one is to break through that front shoulder bone." So, you need a good bullet and as much B.C. as you can get. 260 fills both requirements.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeNot sure why the 338 would have pressure issues other than not being reloaded properly, a friend has one and has never mentioned any issues like that.

I think it's quite reasonable to expect, logically at least, that the 338Fed would have issues with over-gassing in the AR-10. The comfort level that I'd have is that the 338Fed has the same dwell time and operating pressure as the 308win, but on the other hand, it's the same operating pressure with a 20% larger bore area and 20% heavier bullet over ~3-5% more powder, meaning more gas generation. With an adjustable gas block, I'm sure it's easily managed, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see pushed or popped primers or case head swipes (CHS) in the Fed in an AR-10. I'd tend to assume that there would be interest in a heavier buffer to scrub off some recoil as well.

"Long Range" is always a subjective term that can mean different ranges for different applications and different folks, but I'd also think there's nothing wrong with the 338Fed as a "long range" option, at least compared to it's counterparts. If you compare trajectory for a 260rem 140grn pill at ~2750fps, a 308win 165grn at ~2700fps, and a 338fed 200grn at ~2600fps, and recognize that the 200grn 338 pill has a BETTER BC than the 260's 140grn, you're talking about 3" difference in drop compensation at 500yrds, and no more than about 10" across the field of loads available for both (looking around 45-55"). I'd expect about that much variability even within a single cartridge just by changing environmental conditions (depending on your powder choice), so I wouldn't sweat a 1-2MOA difference in trajectory.

If you can manage the drop of a 260rem, you can manage the drop of the 338Federal equally well.

I have a matched set of AR10's in 260 Rem and 338 Fed. Both shoot well, both have their uses. Wanna impress a big hog? Introduce it to a 338 Fed. He will be very impressed. Wanna take a big buck at 250 yards? Grab the 260 Rem.

I reload,most every shot in Ohio wont be over 200 or so on game,,, think im going .308,,, only because of a wider variety of components, , may build one of each later!

Thanks for all the replies!

X

Originally Posted By: coyotexTrying to figure out which one I want between the 3.
I was almost set on the .338,, but read about reloading and pressure issues,,, I know quite a few here run the .260 rem and .308. Any pros and cons would be appreciated, , rifle will be mostly for target shooting,ringing steel and such,,, maybe some out of state hogs,thanks for any imput!

If you think you'll ever buy a Suppressor , I'd stay with the 260 or 308. They use the same 7.62 suppressor. A 338 would need a dedicated Suppressor$$.
I have a AR10-243 and a AR10-308. Like them Both. But if I were to Start all over I'd go with the 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Very High BC Bullets available now to shoot out to 1000 yds.
Both Very effective Killing Machines. M.02.

X

Last edited:
Back