Help me build an upper please

PowellSixO

I am as new as it comes to building a AR as it gets. I know a few things, but not even enough to be dangerous, lol. I just picked up an AR15 stripped lower built by Layke Tactical and want to build a rifle to hunt coyotes with. I'm not sure if I want to go with the 223 or another caliber. I'm open to suggestions on this. I typically shoot no further than 500 yards when hunting them. I want to build the fastest flatest round possible though. I have the means to reload whatever, so I'm not worried about the availability of ammo. Like most, I want to build this upper on a budget. I know you get what you pay for, so I don't want to build junk though . I also want to learn how to do this, so I don't want to just buy a complete upper and slap it on. I'm thinking of a 18-20" heavy stainless steel barrel, but beyond that I don't know what I'm doing. So I'm hoping you guys can help me come up with a list of parts to build this rifle as well as the tools needed to put it together. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

500 yards then build a 6x6.8, get the barrel from BHW and they have a 20% off until the 24th.
That said the .223 will do 500 yards also, just slower than the 6x6.8 w/55g bullet.
Forget a heavy bull barrel, you will kick yourself when you are carrying it any distance.
Go to Joe Bobs (a vender here)and get all your parts or midwayusa.
Upper receiver, complete bolt carrier group, ejection door, fwd assist, free float forearm, gas tube, gas block. You will need a 6.8spc bolt if you go on a cartridge off the 6.8spc brass like the 6x6.8 variations.
I can build an accurate nice upper for about $500-600 depending on current prices I should add.

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it. I've never even heard of the 6x6.8. What kinda fps am I looking at with a 55gr bullet? I was also contemplating a .204 ruger. Would the 6x6.8 out perform the .204? What would your exact parts list be for an accurate $500 dollar upper? Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeBarrel will should take up half or of your budget for the upper.

I fixed it for you
lol.gif

If you are building something for accuracy, spend you money where it will count. BHW builds very accurate barrels and you won't go wrong with one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PowellSixOThanks for that, I really appreciate it. I've never even heard of the 6x6.8. What kinda fps am I looking at with a 55gr bullet? I was also contemplating a .204 ruger. Would the 6x6.8 out perform the .204? What would your exact parts list be for an accurate $500 dollar upper? Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.
I would not consider a 204 R a 500 yard gun when it comes to winds & changing breezes.
6x6.8 info here:
http://ar15armory.com/forums/forum/393-68-and-68-variance-category/
http://ar15armory.com/forums/forum/342-blackhole-weaponry/
http://68forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?78-Black-Hole-Weaponry
The 6x6.8 will spit a 55g bullet up to 3600 fps depending on your powders.
It will be great for p-dogs to deer w/different bullets.
Your parts list will depend on what brands or who you get them from pertaining to costs.
You wont need any name branded or ANY tactical junk parts either to keep the build within your budget.
A good accurate barrel will run $300 and up depending on who you get it through.
There are many other options for calibers as well, so that will be a decision you need to make before building.

Amazon.com is a good place to get all your AR15 parts for less than many other places w/the exception of lowers.
Here are ready to go uppers if they have em in stock:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=ar15+upper

I would also recommend a 6x68 or a 6mmWoa. Only if you are not going to shoot cats or fox. They will tear a big hole in a cat and tear a fox in half. If you throw cats and fox into the mix I would look at a 20pr but a 500yd round it is not that good in the wind. If you drop your range down to 300yds or so then the 20pr will hammer all that you want. I was down in your great state earlier this month and smoked some jacks with my 6mmwoa from 75yds out to 300 with 75gr sierra hp's and it totally destroyed them. 4yrs ago I brought down my 20pr and rolled 2 yotes one at 20yds and the other at about 150. We also shot some jacks with it out to 250 and the 35gr bergers performed great. And like other said spend the extra coin on a good quality barrel. That's where you will get the most out of your upper.

Ok I have a little more to work with than I let on. I just just spoke with the guy im getting the lower from, and it also comes with a stripped upper as well. One thing less to order. Lol. Here is a picture of what I'm getting.

Thanks for the input so far guys I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinI would also recommend a 6x68 or a 6mmWoa. Only if you are not going to shoot cats or fox. They will tear a big hole in a cat and tear a fox in half. If you throw cats and fox into the mix I would look at a 20pr but a 500yd round it is not that good in the wind. If you drop your range down to 300yds or so then the 20pr will hammer all that you want. I was down in your great state earlier this month and smoked some jacks with my 6mmwoa from 75yds out to 300 with 75gr sierra hp's and it totally destroyed them. 4yrs ago I brought down my 20pr and rolled 2 yotes one at 20yds and the other at about 150. We also shot some jacks with it out to 250 and the 35gr bergers performed great. And like other said spend the extra coin on a good quality barrel. That's where you will get the most out of your upper.

I'm using this for predators only, and I'm not worried about pelts. I like to do a lot of coyote tournaments, and a dead dog on the ground is what I'm after. I already have some dialed in deer and elk rifles. My 243 is already a killing machine, and I like the idea of sticking with a 6mm projectile. But the 204 has caught my interest. The next time you come down to AZ let me know, I'll take you out to kill some dogs. I absolutely love living here.

Originally Posted By: nwolfe310Powell- what are you paying for that upper/lower combo? (If you don't mind me asking). I really like that!

I don't know what it goes for normally, but I'm getting them for 107. I'm getting the black one. I hate to even say, seeing how I'm getting it on a smoking deal through a friend of a friend. I should have it in my possession Feb 1st.

Powell, thanks for the offer I have a brother and 2 very good friends down in the valley and where we were hunting was completely over run with pig hunters and deer hunters. We had a great time down there but I don't know if I will ever get to come back down there. 4yrs ago we were down there and it snowed and then again this year the same thing happened. They had not had any snow in 4yrs.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinPowell, thanks for the offer I have a brother and 2 very good friends down in the valley and where we were hunting was completely over run with pig hunters and deer hunters. We had a great time down there but I don't know if I will ever get to come back down there. 4yrs ago we were down there and it snowed and then again this year the same thing happened. They had not had any snow in 4yrs.

Yep for sure. If you'd rather go on the lake, I know how to catch fish too. My partner hunting /fishing have also won angler of the year on lake powell the last 2 years in a row. We took this earlier in the year. We fish every weekend when we're not calling. Lol. Our wives hate us.

Originally Posted By: nwolfe310That's too good to pass up. Good luck on the build!

That's what I was thinking too. I can't wait to finish it.

What kind of budget do you have? Iknow it is t as much fun but ritch at rrp builds a sweet upper and he will do the 6x6.8. Plus he is a site sponsor, i would give hime a call he could proably even supply you with parts and an great barrel.

Originally Posted By: zr600What kind of budget do you have? Iknow it is t as much fun but ritch at rrp builds a sweet upper and he will do the 6x6.8. Plus he is a site sponsor, i would give hime a call he could proably even supply you with parts and an great barrel.

I'm probably looking at spending 900 or less on completing what I have (not including what i have in the lower and upper ), and not including optics. I like the idea of the 6x6.8, but I'm going to be honest...... I don't see what advantage it has over a tried and true 243. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm looking for something scratching at the door of 4000 fps. I know my BC isn't going to be great with this type of load, but 50% of my shots are 200 yards or less, 25% are 300 to 200 yards, 15% are 400 to 300 yards, and maybe 10% of my shots will extend to 500 to 550 yards. But one thing I find to be invaluable for coyote hunting, is a flat and fast round. I don't want to worry much about my bullet drop and how much i need to lead by, when it comes it comes down to pulling the trigger. The less to think about the better.

I love my .204's. That being said, it is not a tournament gun, and the barrels cost more. The 6x6.8 looks good as does the 243wssm. Those two should anchor a coyote even with poor shot placement. I'm having trouble deciding which one I want next. The bad thing about the wssm is you have to buy a complete upper as the bolts are proprietary, but it's the highest velocity wise. So, if you want to build your own I agree with everyone else, 6x6.8.

Originally Posted By: PowellSixOSo what barrel length should i be looking at here? 18-20"? Ok so say I do opt for the 204. Would this be something to consider?

They have a 20 inch ready to ship, but it's black. I wouldn't go shorter than 20".

Back