Ultimate Ar-15 Meltdown

What a waste of money. If even if I had all the parts and ammo donated to me I could never bring myself to waste all that ammo and burn up a barrel.

It was fun to watch but the entire time I was afraid it was going to blow up in his face.

Originally Posted By: 12RingWhat a waste of money. If even if I had all the parts and ammo donated to me I could never bring myself to waste all that ammo and burn up a barrel.

It was fun to watch but the entire time I was afraid it was going to blow up in his face.

Shoot...I could. I would have worn a bit better eye and face protection.

FUN..... all in the name of science right? you could see the barrel glowing red towards the end, I think he took too much time talking between mag drops. just saying...

I thought it was interesting from the standpoint of some of the discussions that have taken place on this site previously...It certainly laid to rest a few theories that have been put forth before...

I think it would have even been more meaningful, and accurate, if there had been less talk between magazine changes and the melt down, maybe, would have taken place sooner and with slightly fewer rounds through the weapon..

I did find it interesting that the barrel went before the gas tube and that the 'blow out' happened before the gas port, but quite a bit away from the chamber...If you noticed, the area past the gas tube was thicker than the rest of the barrel, so maybe the 'bull' barrels would last a little/lot longer

A chrome lined barrel would've likely reversed the order of failure. With the rifling shot out for the first ten inches, I'd guess the blowout occurred just ahead of where the rifling remained.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KizmoA fool and his face are soon parted.

+1.

My biggest concern would have been an out of battery cookoff. That thought could have been the motivation behind slow mag changes towards the end?

Regards,
hm

Back