TC Venture Predator 204 Review

Devil Pup

Picked up a new TC Venture Predator in 204 Ruger last week and was able to get my Leupold mounted and sighted it in on Saturday. First off, for a rifle that runs around $500 I am very impressed with the overall quality, fit and finish. The stock is plastic like many other rifles in this class, but is fairly stiff and has a good feel with the Hogue inserts. Using a bipod should cause zero concern of the stock flexing and touching the barrel. The trigger is decent, I wasn't able to measure mine, but I am guessing that it breaks around 3.5-4 lbs at the lightest setting. The trigger does have a small amount of creep but still quit decent. The only thing I am not so impressed with is the plastic box magazine. Its a little hard to remove and seems somewhat cheap. Although this seems to be the route some of the other manufactures are going. Browning xbolt uses a plastic mag to if I'm not mistaken. TC claims their mag holds 3 rounds, but I was able to squeeze a 4th in with little effort. I did find out by doing so it caused the bolt to rub pretty hard on that top round when cycling.
The accuracy was very good given the less than ideal conditions. The wind was about 20-25 mph and hitting me at a 45, and resting on a 5 gallon bucket in the back of my buddies side by side. I was only able to test one load and that was factory Hornady 32 grain v-max and they grouped right at 7/8". That group was perfectly inline vertically, but strung horizontally which I attribute to the wind. All in all I think it will be a great coyote rifle, fairly light to carry, accurate and being all camo is a nice touch as well.
I'm gonna head out one morning this week and maybe give it a try this weekend as well to see how she performs on some coyotes.

Back