Double down

titch--

Got to go out again on thursday morning.

Went back to the same place as last weekend. I had a pretty good day, so bare with me.
smile.gif

So I get there before first light and hang out for a few to finish my morning coffee and for the sun to rise abit more. As Im sitting there with the truck shut off but the radio on right beside some bales and cattle, I almost jump through the roof of the truck because two coyotes start howling like there were in the box of my truck, it scared the bleeeperz out of me it was so sudden and loud. I believe they were just on the other side of the bales 50yds from me. I get out and get my stuff ready to take some yotes down. I sneak over to the edge of the bales and scan for a few but dont see anything. I wait it out for a few more minutes with nothing showing up, so I start walkin up the fence line and make it to a ridge which reveals alot of open ground. Just as Im scanning the area I see a coyote about 50yds to my front pop out of a garbage pile. Its looking at me as I raise my rifle for a shot, hes not spooked so not really running away real fast at all so Im taking my time with him. I catch more movement past him and look up and see two more coyotes slowly moving away from me about 125yds. Im thinking that I wont really get a good chance to shoot at those other two coyotes so since they aint really scared of me, I decide to hold off shooting the closest one and just watch them slowly make there way down the fence line. I watch the two go one direction and the single cut across a field and go to another valley in my monocular. Once they are out of site I start making my way that direction. This is my third year shooting coyotes here so I know exactly where they are going. I get off the ridge and start walking the same path I did a few days earlier. I get to pretty much the same spot as I shot the coyote earlier and what do you know, I see a coyote sleeping on top of that same ridge like 20yds from that dead coyote I left earlier. I couldnt believe it. Since he was sleeping I snuck up and got layed out prone for a shot. Just as Im about to put this yote to sleep for real, for some reason I wanted to try to get it on video with my cell phone. As I was getting my cell out three coyotes from that other valley started up howlin. This made the one infront of me get up and start howling too. I wish I would of got that on video because it was only about 80 away from me. I was close enough that I could see his breath of the howl. It was a pretty good experience to see that!!! Anyways as I was trying to get the video started this coyote saw me move and got spooked. I took a shot but was rushed and missed. [beeep] that shouldnt happen. lol oh well I know where he lives.
smile.gif

After a few moments I make my way over the ridge to this other valley to see what was making all that racket. This is a shot of the ridge lookin into one part of it. If youve been reading all my other posts about my hunts , then this is right where I got my first coyote for this year.
IMG_20150115_105057_zps5c548c2e.jpg

I snuck up to the edge and waited for any targets of opportunities, but nothing was moving. I knew something was around here because I found a den here last year, so I figured someone eles moved in and was making it their homestead. I decided that it was time to pull out the caller. I set it up on my leftside and a little behind me. Fired up some female long howls on medium volume and it played for about a minute and a half. Looked around thinking that I might get one to make a move, but nothing. I let it play again but cranked it up and about ten seconds in I have what sounds like 3 coyotes start freaking out just below me and around a small ridge 150ish yards. Found their den.
smile.gif
I shut the caller off thinking that they where going to come out lookin for a fight and wait with no more response or movement. This was my view at the moment. With the coyotes just down in the bottom just around to the right of that next ridge.
01-15-15doublefirstridge_zps560a8ef9.jpg

So at this point I couldnt make up my mind as to go down into the valley to the left and challenge em out or stay up top and sneak over the the ridge on the right. After a ten minutes a pissin around I just ended up staying put and called from here. Did alittle more female long howls to make sure they were still there and they were, so I fired up a female challenge howl thinking that a female would be less likely to scare them than the male. After a minute or two of challenging them I see one walking away from me down in the creek. I thinking that Ive scared them off and blew it on this stand. Sitting up there being mad an all. I packed up and left the way I came in. Its hard to explain but I started walking a ridge that let me look all the through that valley where the yotes were bedded down and with my monocular I could see one coyote halfway up the ridge sleeping. So after a few minutes of swearing I start my way back to where I was 20 minutes ago. This time I stay up top and sneak over to the other edge that I should of went to before.

Taking my time so I dont scare anything I finally sneak to a good shooting position where I can see the creek bottom and this still sleeping coyote on the ridge. This is a pic of my position after everything went down, but you can see what I got to see.
01-15-15doublerifle_zps42a76724.jpg

I thought I heard three in here before so I let this guy sleep some. heh I had all the time in the world here so I took this pic. I took me a minute or two because trying it get it lined up in my scope was a real pain in the azz.
smile.gif

01-15-15doublefemalesleepinginscope_zpse3722e10.jpg

Zoomed in alittle
01-15-15doublefemalesleepinginscopesoomed_zps3c1475bc.jpg

While pissin around here I was also looking for more coyotes because I know there is atleast one more. And after a few minutes, I see that one that took off down the creek before start making its way back. So now Im jumping back and forth watching the one sleeping and the one making its way towards me. The one walking went up in the bushes on the opposite side of the creek and started making its way my direction on the path you can kind of see. I took it about 10 or so minutes because he was diggin around for food or something. At one time he actually jumped and dove into the snow looking for a mouse. Dont think it got it though. Pretty cool to watch em do it. Slowly he made it over by that tree just above the end of my barrel and kept going that way where it opens up some. With all this time I had Ive ranged that sleep yote at 174 and the walking one Ive picked a nice spot for it at 134. lol Once I was ready to take a shot at this guy I made a little movement which he noticed that made him stop and look up at me. I drilled one into its chest (love that popping sound) swung over to the sleeping one which was running away from me. Gave it a little lead and again love that popping sound, connected on that on too. I look up and see the first one trying to run down to the creek bed and run away, but gave it another which put it down for good. So in a matter of about Im thinking of six seconds I had two coyotes down in three shots. Man I think it was like text book. I was pretty happy with myself. Oh yeah, this was with my 223 this time which I didnt get much trigger time with it this year because I was always playing around with my 243.

Oh yeah, more pictures :p lol The sleeping one (female)
01-15-15doublefemale_zps8253e3a3.jpg

And the walking one (male)
01-15-15doublemale_zps636d169d.jpg

Their last time together
smile.gif

01-15-15doubledown_zps874533ee.jpg

Back to that pic with my rifle on the ridge, you can see the male layed out in the creek bottom and the female was up above my scope just before those trees a little bit.

After all the photos I dragged these guys out back to my truck and brewed up some beef soup and had a sandwich because I needed it as it took alot of effort to hump them back. lol Someone have a sled that dont need? :p

I made a couple more stands down the valley, but didnt have any luck there. That was fine because to me I already had a real good day in my mind.

I know its a real long read, but I really wanted to share it with you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great read. Really appreciate u taking the time. Congrats on a great day. Andgood running shots!! It seems this year that the 223 is putting in a good accounting for itself. !

Good stuff man!! I love hunts like that...you loose all sense of time and you just go into predator mode. Calling coyotes can be tough....stalking them is all together harder but very rewarding.
If your looking for a sled go to Canadian Tire and buy one of those cheap plastic ones..very handy for long walks. I use one all the time...only issue is they are loud on the ice and snow at times.
Thanks for the read, much better then anything on the news this am.

BTW what bullets are you using and what rifle/scope?

Cheers!!

Hey guys thanks for all the kind words.

Since I go back to the same places alot, I like to call one time then next time just try to sneak into a place where I can just shoot one or two. This way they dont know whats hitting them.

Also, I made a few cell phone videos of this excursion.

Since the phone was right infront of my mouth you can hear me breathing all the time and when Im outdoors my nose runs all the time too, so be kind. :p

Here I used a female lone howl to moreless just locate them and it works like a charm.

Heres another two videos of the coyotes right before I start the shootin.

Last edited:
Right now Im using the 53gr Vmax'and the scopes a vortex viper 6-20x44

Originally Posted By: Saskcoyote78Good stuff man!! I love hunts like that...you loose all sense of time and you just go into predator mode. Calling coyotes can be tough....stalking them is all together harder but very rewarding.
If your looking for a sled go to Canadian Tire and buy one of those cheap plastic ones..very handy for long walks. I use one all the time...only issue is they are loud on the ice and snow at times.
Thanks for the read, much better then anything on the news this am.

BTW what bullets are you using and what rifle/scope?

Cheers!!

Dont let this valley fool you, this is the only none flat part in Saskatchewan. :p

Originally Posted By: fratrithats some beautiful country.... thanks for sharing the adventure

Thanks for the great report and nice photos. The only video that worked for me was the one of the male walking left of the tree. Anyway that was a great outing for you.

Back