Tell me about some wild cats

Originally Posted By: Rich44Originally Posted By: FairChase93Rich 44 what is your overall length on the 17/204?

2.305 with a 30gr Kindler Gold, 2.229 with a 30gr Berger both are seated .015 off I think the chamber was cut with 0 freebore but I'm not positive, there are a couple of other guys that used the same reamer they may have a better memory than me since there much younger
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: barkI was curious what the C.O.A.L. was on the 20-250 with a 55 grain bullet and then with a 40 grain bullet as well.

Thanks, Rich. I have an oly arms UMAR in 22-250 that I thought would be cool to rebarrel to 20-250, but it looks like it's going to be too long.

The C.O.L for the 55gr Bergers is 2.579 I have not tried any 40's but the 45gr Blackhole with the Lexan tip is 2.502 both seated .015 off I'm pretty sure this chamber was cut with .050 freebore

Originally Posted By: pahntr760
Another cool 20 Cal I've been looking at is a 20 PPC. There are 2 Hammonds built rifles at the Rapid City Cabela's for an amazing price.

20PPC is very cool
Just waiting on my Bartlien .20 barrel from the Saubier group buy then off to Bob Green for a 20PPC on a Bat SV with a 24" RVC 12 twist

Originally Posted By: FairChase93I'll be there Wednesday I may have to check them out.

PM me. I work there part time and will be there Wed AM. They are some slick varmint rifles. Built pretty heavy, should be nice for a bench.

I suppose the fact that this thread went 2 pages and 23 replies and nobody even batted an eye at that 338-06 on your list kinda speaks to the fact that not many hunters/shooters have a need for a mid-bore cartridge!

I've had 338-06 and 338WM (and 338Lap, but it's in a different class). The sex appeal of the 338-06 makes up for its ~5-10% reduction in velocity. If I only had ONE 33cal rifle, it'd be a 338WM, but I could be easily persuaded to add a 338-06. What little it lags on the Win Mag doesn't reveal itself on elk or bison, but you can definitely tell a difference in terms of meat friendliness of the '06 on whitetails and hogs. That's the only 4 species I've hunted with it, other than a few unfortunate small game opportunity shots. The 338-06 A-square basically splits the difference between the 30-06 and the 338WM, ~100-200fps ahead of the 30-06 and the same behind the 338wm with the same bullet weight, and all the better than the 30-06 with 225+ grn pills, although the super-weight 30cal bullets have better BC's.

I made my first set of brass for it by fire-forming and annealing, but I'm kinda a stickler for headstamp accuracy, so I ponied up for Nosler brass for the subsequent sets.

I'm actually about to place an order for a shilen tube to rebarrel one of my .30-06's to 338-06, simply because I've missed having one.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: willy1947

17/204-20/250-22-250AI = 220swift

6×47 Lapua = OK

338-06 = 338win

Completely narrow minded outlook. These 'cats are implemented for certain applications. Plus, wildcatting is a ton of fun.

I simply do not understand how one can compare a 17 cal anything to a 220 swift. Certainly nothing in comparison of fur friendliness. The 6x47 Lapua is what the 243 win should have been. I just does it better and easier. I mean, I understand personal preference and everything, but dang! Of course, this is coming from someone who thinks solids are sutible for hunting.

Solids are good for hunting!!!! I myself have a hard time getting real spooled up for lots of different small carts. I would really like a 17 HH. But for me. The 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor take care of all my small cart needs. . Now big carts. That's a different story. I'm currently debating on either a 400 Whelan on a stainless Ruger M77 Mk2 06 action. Or a 416 Ruger in the Guide Gun. Or having the action of my 458 opened up to take 416 Remington. The 416 Remington being one of my most favorite carts.

As to the OP. The 338/06 is a good general purpose round. It will push relatively high bc 225 gr bullets to around 2700 fps with the right load . It depends on how you build the rifle . And how you hunt the rifle. I would AI it but with a 25° shoulder. Its not per say a big bear thumper . But is a great all around big game round that gets a lot of performance out of nottoo much powder.

Back