New optics for my ar "Nikon p223 4x12??????"

Bambohunter

Hi all im currently rigging up an ar for hog and predator hunting. I'm looking for the best optics setup for this. I was looking at the Nikon p223 4x12 but have heard mixed reviews. Also looking at a vortex diamondback. I'm on a limited budget and would like any help you can give me. Thatnks

Bambo, I have used Nikon's P-223 3-9 and 4-12 on my AR's for 1000's of rounds now without any issues at all. I have also shown 100's of guy's how to use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to squueze the most accuracy out of their BDC reticle.
In case you are wondering, how does hitting a 4 inch far of Tannerite at 600 yards sound? Stock rifle and over the counter ammo too. The P-223 is built with Nikon's PROSTAFF line of glass that has some of the best light gathering properties in the industry. Let me know if you have any question's and I'll do my best to help you out. I do some freelance PR work and shooting event's for Nikon but do not do any sales. If I truly didn't think this scope would give your AR longrange accuracy I wouldn't make the suggestion. Here's a pic of my P-223 3-9 BDC 600 on my LMT.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/P-223%203-9/P-2233-9BDC.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I have used a few of the Nikon pro staffs in the past and im somewhat familiar with their spot on app. I like the scope and have heard some good things about it. Here's another question I have I noticed that the 4x12 is 14" long. Is that thing gonna look huge on my rifle? Should I stick with the shorter 3x9? I'm putting it on a carbine style rifle with an 18" barrel.

It is a big scope, Just under 2 inches bigger then the 3-9.
Whatever full size optic you choose is going to look big in my opinion.
It just depends what you want?
Here's a full pic of my 18 inch AR with the P-223 on it.
I don't think it looks to big, but it does give me big results down range.
If you think most of your shot's will be 400 and in, the 3-9 will be fine for you.
For my 50+ year old eye's, I want all the magnification I can get.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/P-223%203-9/p-22339.jpg

I'm sure 95% on my shots will be well under 400yrds. The reason I was looking at the 4x12 was the rapid action turrets. But the more I think about it the more I think it may be a waste of time. Some im sure the 3x9 would be fine

I do like the Rapid Action Turret as well. I have a couple of the M-223 4-16's, One on a 20 inch AR and one on my bull barrel single shot .223. The sinlge shot sat in the back of my safe until I put that scope on it. Now four buddies have borrowed the rifle to take to SD and SW Co. to prairie dog hunt and they have all loved it. It's great when you have your distances all ranged out and you are using a 55 gr. projectile at 3240 fps.
It sounds like the 3-9 will work just fine for you. Most .223's if you zero at 100 yards you are only 1.5 inches low at 200 so it makes shooting that far pretty easy.

Yes unless you pop for a first focal plane scope you always have to be at the manufactures set magnification for the BDC to register correctly - usually at full magnification.

Originally Posted By: BambohunterThe bdc only works at full magnification correct?

If i remember correctly, you can have it work at whatever power range you want if you use Spot On program, you just have to change it from their suggested magnification and it recalculate. It lets you choose what power you want your chart at or you can do one for each setting. But like Kent said, it is not like a first focal plane.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: RiflemannLeupold Mark AR scope comes in 4-12x40, and can be had for $499.99 from Midway.

And a much better piece of glass than the referenced Nikon..

Back