Couldn't stand it...

TNYotehntr

Went hunting this morning, and Dan found a possum in a hole.. Roi my BMC had joined in and they had a BIG time with it. Well I had planned on waiting but I thought I'd take them out at night and see what happened. I never worked with Dan on treeing, he started treeing squirrels out in the woods when I thought I was just taking him for a walk. I carried him out tonight, mind you he'll strike bark/wimper, then silent. I heard him strike about 40 yards away and next thing I knew he was treeing about 150 yards out. Took me a little to get there and there he was with a coon up the tree. I let him stay after it for a while and pet him up real good. I'm real proud of this pup, he really seems to do everything on his own. My BMC doesn't tree (He's foundation bred baying type) but I carry him anyway. Doesn't seem to affect Dan and if things get rough well Dan has some good back up.
wink.gif
Roi shook this coon like a poodle on a sock.

On the way out Dan struck again, Roi started baying so I figured they had someting in a hole. Well they pulled it out and killed it before I got there... they had a possum...

I coon hunted with hounds for a real long time. And competition hunted the last ten years of hunting. I have followed some really top dogs through the woods. All of the great ones seem to just have it. I would say all that dog needs right now is the wheels hunted off from him.

Thanks guys! I plan to take him every chance I get Kscur. I think that's good advice. I wondered if the coons would make him loose interest in squirrels. That doesn't seem to be a threat. He tree'd 4 times today, shot one... I never realized how many trees have holes in 'em... takes a while of looking then sure enough there's a hole.

this am

My brother had a Stevens stock cur that started about like your pup. Made a heck of a coon dog but would still tree squirrel all day long.

Good looking dog there. Sounds like hes off to a good start. It is amazing how little they need from us if we just get out of there way and let them do what they've been bred for.

Back