johnnyjr

what have all you found to be the most
accurate bullet in your 22-250 with the
12 twist..My plan is 300 yard bench shooting
,,I have watched 223 shooters do it without
much problem with the wind..Seems like the
22-250 would be a tad better..
huh.gif

Should shoot 63/65 gr I think. Might be more accurate with 55gr.I get pretty good accuracy out of my 12 twist up to 63gr but better with 55.

55 Nosler Ballistic Tips, 50 Sierra Blitzking, 40 V-max's or NBT, 52 Matchkings have all been accurate in a number of rifles.

take a look at the BC of a 53g Hornady V max, it is better than the 60g V max and is perfect in the 12 twist.

Also, the 52g Sierra Match and the 53g Sierra match are always in top picks due to their match grade quality jackets. The Sierra 55g BTHP and 55g spt bt also have match grade jackets.

The 12 twist is a very versatile twist. Of all the BC's of the lower weight bullets, the 53g V max is by far the best, worth saying again due to the fact that not many know it. The 53g V will NOT stabilize in a 14twist, no matter how fast you push it.

I also have had really great luck with the 50 and 55g Noslers that produces tremendous accuracy. The 55g Combined technology bullet with a max for that rifle load of win 760 out of a 26" 22/250 VSSF produced bug holes at 100 yards, 3850 fps and 1 1/4" groups at 400 yards using an 8-32x Burris Black Diamond scope.

Many powders will produce exceptional accuracy in a 22/250, Varget was the worst that I tried of all of them.

Good luck

Last edited:
60 gr JLK. It's a flat base but has same BC as a 69 SMK. Shot good in my swift with 14 twist even though it wasn't suppose to stabilize. PM me your address and I will send ya some to try. RR

Mine shoots great groups with the 50gr Vmax,and 53's I had piles of the 50s and will use those up and then convert to 53.

If you are just bench shooting and not using it for coyotes, then maybe a 53 match HP

There is just something about a 52 gr bullet with the 22-250. The 52 Berger, Sierra matchking, Hornady BTHP Match, Hornady Amax take your pick for 12 or 14 twist. Personally I run the 52 Amax over 35 gr of H4895. My current 250 is a 14 twist but I have ran the same load in a previous rifle. For whatever reason the 52 grain bullets just flat out perform in the 22-250.

The .290 BC of the 53 Gr Vmax is appealing although I have not had a chance to try it myself yet.

Disclaimer for anyone reading this with the intention of doing more than bench shooting- The 52 Amax is NOT FUR FRIENDLY.

Last edited:
Such an open ended question. If you are rolling your own build some loads and see what works. I have had good luck in my rifle with anything over 50 grains. Just need to find right powder, bullet combo. Mine loves varget and 50g vmax as a starting point. Good luck and have fun finding the perfect load.

Edit: I have a real nice load of 60gr nosler partition with Varget. I have yet to use it on varmints but might try on coyotes to see what happens

Two weeks ago I went thru 100 rounds of .223 trying to find a couple good loads for a new MVP patrol rifle. Best 3 hours at the range in a long time
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back