Remington AR problem

Bruton68

Ok I'm pretty new to these , here is the prob, the upper and lower move a tiny bit up and down also a little left and right , it feels like it isn't locking up as tight as it should , left and right it groups stay the same but up and down will vary as much as 3 in or better, is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance

All of the sighting devices possible for an AR are mounted on the upper, so I'm having a hard time believing in 3" of disparity due to a little receiver mal-fit. As long as the BCG cleanly enters the buffer tube (and the buffer is oversized to the bolt to allow that to happen), receiver play is most often just a mental issue rather than a physical one.

I have a Remington R15. Its loose as can be.Was worried about the same thing,Dont fret there all like this.at least all the ars ive had my hands on.My r15 shoots anything i have feed it under 1 moa.

The loose fit between the upper and lower receiver have nothing to do with accuracy.

The barrel, chamber, bolt and firing pin are all encased in the upper receiver. All those parts contribute to accuracy, especially the chamber and barrel. Installing an O-ring or one of those wedges is more about a mind game with the shooter rather than solving an alleged accuracy issue.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223A O ring around the upper take down pin block helps. Accuwedges are junk.

Not sure I understand the reason behind this comment. A rubber o-ring is OK but a purpose built rubber wedge is junk. Care to elaborate?

Originally Posted By: Steve_in_PAThe loose fit between the upper and lower receiver have nothing to do with accuracy.

The barrel, chamber, bolt and firing pin are all encased in the upper receiver. All those parts contribute to accuracy, especially the chamber and barrel. Installing an O-ring or one of those wedges is more about a mind game with the shooter rather than solving an alleged accuracy issue.

I generally agree with your statement but given the fact that your head (line of sight) interfaces with the lower receiver I think it might be a stretch to say it has nothing to do with accuracy. It's likely worth the small price to eliminate any fitment issues between the upper and lower receivers on an accuracy rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve_in_PAThe loose fit between the upper and lower receiver have nothing to do with accuracy.

So......glass bedding a rifle is also a mind game???? Barrel, chamber, bolt and firing pin are also all encased in the receiver. Make no mistake about it, movement between the barrel and the stock absolutely, definitely affects accuracy. You want zero movement and I would love to know just what kind of earplug is hard enough to cut and use as an Accuwedge. The JP Enterprises device works the best, followed by simple set screws drilled and tapped into the lower, then the Accuwedge. A simple $4.00 Accuwedge will tell you if that is your problem. I would suggest a really good bore cleaning too, such as with JB Bore Cleaner.

The play between the upper & lower have no affect on mechanical accuracy. Even with iron sights, the play shouldn't be enough to change POI 3 inches at (I am assuming) 100 yards.

What type of handguard does our rifle have? Are you shooting the rifle from a bench when experiencing this shift?

Originally Posted By: MistWolfThe play between the upper & lower have no affect on mechanical accuracy. Even with iron sights, the play shouldn't be enough to change POI 3 inches at (I am assuming) 100 yards.

What type of handguard does our rifle have? Are you shooting the rifle from a bench when experiencing this shift?

My thoughts as well. They're different, mechanically, than a typical bolt action.

I had the same problem with a Bushmaster Varminter. The upper and lower were very loose fitting and the gun grouped poorly no matter the ammo type. I went the Tensioning Pin route and the problem was solved.

Originally Posted By: Raven OneOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 223A O ring around the upper take down pin block helps. Accuwedges are junk.

Not sure I understand the reason behind this comment. A rubber o-ring is OK but a purpose built rubber wedge is junk. Care to elaborate?

I generally agree with your statement but given the fact that your head (line of sight) interfaces with the lower receiver I think it might be a stretch to say it has nothing to do with accuracy. It's likely worth the small price to eliminate any fitment issues between the upper and lower receivers on an accuracy rifle.
Iv seen the accu wedge take shape to the upper being pressed into them and the slop comes back. The O ring will hold up better. I hand made a steel lower reviever that has zero slop and guess what.. I found no accuracy difference between it and one of my factory lowers that has a little play.

I went so far as to bed a receiver set together once. I used jb weld on the mating surface on the lower. The perfect fit did nothing for accuracy. However if they are a really sloppy fit it can't hurt to remove some of it.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Iv seen the accu wedge take shape to the upper being pressed into them and the slop comes back. The O ring will hold up better. I hand made a steel lower reviever that has zero slop and guess what.. I found no accuracy difference between it and one of my factory lowers that has a little play.

Interesting...

I've used the Accu-wedge for years and never had an issue with them. The o-ring might be a more cost effective route though. What size/material o-ring do you use?

Originally Posted By: Raven OneOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 223Iv seen the accu wedge take shape to the upper being pressed into them and the slop comes back. The O ring will hold up better. I hand made a steel lower reviever that has zero slop and guess what.. I found no accuracy difference between it and one of my factory lowers that has a little play.

Interesting...

I've used the Accu-wedge for years and never had an issue with them. The o-ring might be a more cost effective route though. What size/material o-ring do you use?

The size I use is Dash number -112. It is a 11/16" o-ring O.D .700" I.D. .500" and .09375" thick (all measurements are rough). My rifle was very loose in my opinion and this tightened it up. Hope this helped

Back