side by side comparison of Torch Pro and UNV T20

I think they sense something. The Osram led in the UNV T20 emits 830-850nm near infrared wavelengths. Ole Wiley can't see 830-850nm light or red light.

I think I need to host an International Symposium of Retinal Molecular Geneticists to attract all the top tier researchers in vision science from around the world to my hunt camp where we can all sit around drinking whiskey and homemade moonshine all night until we come up with an answer to these stunning and perplexing problems associated with this new breed of super mutant coyote senses!

Probably need invite the Game Wardens and Wildlife Biologists to alert the State Game Agencies about these mutants killing all the fawns, turkey, quail, etc. with their freshly evolved visual capabilities too.

That was some great reading for me. But i had to stop in the middle of my reading because i could feel my wife looking at me from behind. [beeep] it trash night. Explan that one? The only light that came on was the one inside my head, yet i knew she was looking at me.

When I used to use a Bosch AEGIS IR system running 18 Osram IR LEDs it definitely put off a heat signature on the beam end.

I'm not confusing this with the heatsink designed to dissapate the heat from the circuitry on the back end.

Perhaps their eyeballs are super sensitive to the beams heat emission, they can smell you a mile away for goodness sake so certainly some of their other senses can be ultra delicate.

The UNV20IR wasn't defective, I checked the Bennybone database of IR performance and it is a top performer along with the Torch Pro.

BB

Testing the null hypothesis that these mutant coyotes have evolved the DNA sequences to visualize red, IR, and thermal that no other dichromatic four legged animal has could be Nobel Prize winning material as the vertebrate eye has some of the most highly conserved DNA sequences of all living tissues that does not change very much over hundreds of millions of years.

The fact that these visible red, IR, and thermal seeing coyotes are now reproducing across all of North America in the New World, isolated from their ancestors in Africa in the Old World, would make Charles Darwin and his "Orgin of the Species" roll over in his grave.

But, even more important it has serious religious connotations relating to man's position in the universe as if it can be proved these mutants canines have evolved all these extreme senses so rapidly, not following classical Mendelian genetics, it may change the hypothesis that man evolved from the primate order containing monkeys and now it will have to be considered that humans came directly came from coyotes.

Once the Pope is told about this, all [beeep] is going to break loose as this is a major paradigm shift!

I'm going to get my TNVC TorchPro out right now and go shine it out the backdoor to scare away these howling mutant monsters away from my backyard.

These IR lasers and such should be marketed as coyote repellants to suburban homeowners instead of to hardcore predator night hunters.

I'm getting a glass of whiskey, a cigar, and sitting out shining IR repellant on these mutant song dogs now, I'll let you know how many coons, possums, and foxes I manage to scare away too later....

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
These IR lasers and such should be marketed as coyote repellants to suburban homeowners instead of to hardcore predator night hunters.

You'd see quite a few sells to Californians if you boast that feature......
scared.gif

I refer to a genetic defect (birth defect) as being different than evolutionary mutation.

I don't think the scientist have caught the right animal yet and looked for this type of defect because you wouldn't know it right off.

When you invite all those scientist to Geek Fest 2015 at your ranch be sure to find an IR shy yote and run your tests and update the databases.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI'm going to get my TNVC TorchPro out right now and go shine it out the backdoor to scare away these howling mutant monsters away from my backyard.

I'm getting a glass of whiskey, a cigar, and sitting out shining IR repellant on these mutant song dogs now, I'll let you know how many coons, possums, and foxes I manage to scare away too later....
I'd rig up all 14 illuminators and really scare the [beeep] out of them.
thumbup1.gif

Well, that did not take long, what a complete bust!

Red, IR, and Thermal all have zero effect on anything, horses, cows, pigs, goats, chickens, geese, ducks, coons, possums, and even a skunk in the horse pasture showed absolutely no response whatsoever to any of the high power state of the art Visible Red, Infrared, or Thermal instruments.

In fact, the horses walked a quarter of a mile right into the 3,400mW IR beam just to get a carrot..... that is enough to fry any human retina on Earth!
cursing.gif

Horses%20150%20Yards%20IR.jpg

I'll try the 270,000mW Visible Red LED and 240,000mW Infrared beams on them tomorrow night and see if that has any effects.

Honda%20Front.jpg

Hopefully no Black Helicopters are flying over the ranch tomorrow night when I turn on the heavy hitters.....

Ok, Ir light vs IR source

The eagle tac light same one pictured( ordered it from Illumination gear as well), I can see the led red glow clearly, very clearly.
Stack 1 or 2 IR filters, 720nm is what I have so that is what I have used. They work as they block all the visible light from the compact fluorescent bulbs I have in my house.
When I look at the CFL bulbs I see no light when looking thru the IR pass filters, so they do filter the 720nm and below. But when I look at the eagle tac with no filters, I see the red glow from the source clearly the led emitters 2 rectangular blocks, with 2 filters stacked I see the ir source glow with almost the same intensity because the IR filter is not blocking that wavelength. Since the IR filters cut out the light below 720nm stacking several of the have a higher attenuation (blocking ability) of the lower wavelength (visible light) as they combine to block the light below 720nm. Well the light I see from the source does not get reduced when several filters are added. Which can only mean the filters are all bad ( but they cut out all visible light from a compact fluorescent bulb so they are filtering visible light)and stacking 2 of them makes no difference as 1 will block all the light from a 60watt CFL bulb no light is seen adding 2 makes no difference as 1 blocks 100 percent. But I see the IR laser 780nm with no reduction in intensity, I see the 940nm Ir illuminator with no reduction in intensity, using 1 or 2 filters stacked. I have had hogs and coyotes spook at the 780nm IR laser from 400+ yards with them up wind, so the they winded you is not an option. I can get them to run away from a red laser pointer hitting the ground in front of them at 400+yards. I have stopped hogs from running into the brush with a red laser dot reflecting off the brush 330 yds away. So they see something. The t20 with 3 power levels I see all three settings, each is brighter and brighter. Now keep in mind that I am referring to the source, NOT the beam.
I can see red light with the eagle tac on turbo mode reflecting off a piece of white paper several feet away with my naked eye (he, he, I said naked). Here is a pic from my camera with eagle tac normal mode, and the IR light is apparent, looks purple towards the UV color side to the camera.I use UV light at work as Postal Stamps are detected by the UV florescent and phosphorescence properties. All I see is a bright red from the led emitters, looking at the source offset as to not look directly into the leds or looking thru the IR filters, 1 or 2 stacked they have no reducing effect on the red glow from the source.
If only critters cannot see red or IR, well I know better they will spook. Do humans see IR, if they don't then I am special. I will put up $$$ that I can clearly tell if any eagle tac 850nm or 940nm yukon, t20 IR 850nm is on or off from 20yds away at night with my naked eye ( I said naked again
blush.gif
) As I own them and have confirmed this. When I don't need my eyes anymore Skypup you are welcome to them for study
laugh.gif

eagletacIR850lowbeam_zpsbc54c462.jpg

I will try and get some critter footage with the red laser. Cats are critters and they have a blast going after the red laser, my poodle RIP would chase the red laser pointer all over the carpet. He would hear the chain make a noise and would start searching for the red laser dot on the carpet. I never tried lowering the intensity to see at what level he could not see it vs what I could see. But clearly proved they see 650 nm wavelength, as a laser is monochromatic red light.

Last edited:
Hardware, our Eye Bank has plenty of organ donors so do not be in any hurry to add yours to the liquid nitrogen tank!

Besides, your IR damaged retinas would cancel out any use of the compromised globes...
cool.gif

But, I did read in a comic book once about this one guy that has X-ray vision, but I believe he was an illegal immigrant without a green card, not sure if he was red/green colorblind but if he was part human he'd have at least an 8-10% chance of not being able to see red....
smile.gif

Here is the 805nm IR TorchPro:

TorchPro%20&%20850nm%20Filter.jpg

TorchPro%20No%20Filter.jpg

Here is the 805NM TorchPro LED with a 850nm IR cutoff filter:

TorchPro%20With%20850nm%20Filter.jpg

If I move the camera 20 degrees off dead center, you cannot see anything at all.

EagleTac 850nm is same way.

I guess when science figures out why shooting 2 electrons thru a slit slightly larger then an electron makes 3 electron impacts on the sensor, Science can get a better guess at what critters see.
laugh.gif

If you think about it the fact that the red light is detected as white it is still seen correct. Kinda light watching color movies on a black and white tv, all the colors are there in the origional video it's just seen in black and white on the b/w screen. Even though you can't tell what color, that does not change the image detail. I think it makes critters see better, especially at night. Not having to worry about the brain processing the different colors.

Quote:Besides, your IR damaged retinas would cancel out any use of the compromised globes... cool
Makes them more valuable
laugh.gif

Does the IR light damage the critters eyes, like the horses?

or does this apply to only 2 legged critters?

I started using reading glasses at 46yrs of age, as far as I know still have 20/20 vision, hope they last some more years till they figure out eye transplants or direct connection to the brain so I can add thermal and NV modifications
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Fact is that one out of ten predator hunters cannot see any red color either, so we have to be very careful who we listen to about all this, many of them don't even know they are colorblind!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

You are correct about the retina being the most biochemically active tissue in the human body, sitting here typing on the keyboard, 80% of all body energy is being used by my retinas to process this conversation. Don't know how much energy I could conserve by switching off to black and white.....

I think the OP will get all the info he needs and then some from this post
laugh.gif

I was going to type in red but some might not be able to read it
w00t.gif

Last edited:

Here is a video I captured of a red fox sometime back, while using the home-made NV unit and an 850nm illuminator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PIKk6TQxtU&feature=youtu.be

My question is, what does the fox see? It saw something that caught it's attention, though it quickly got over it and apparently wasn't alarmed by it. It is evident that it sees something from the light source. Does it see the LED emitter or something other than IR? Does it see some shade of light? What most likely does the fox see?

This is not the first time fox have looked directly at the light source. And as stated earlier, when I turned on the IR on a coyote, it jumped and ran up the hill.

I was sitting inside my little hobo-shack of a cabin, with the rifle barrel, scope and IR illuminator outside the building, and sealed up around them with foam over the window so that no light could be seen from the outside.

I made no noise while recording and when the fox looked at the illuminator, I did not move the illuminator around.

SkyPup, do I understand correctly that the IR filter you used over the TorchPro reduces the amount of light from an LED emitter? If so, I assume that would make it more difficult for an animal to see anything coming from the illuminator source, right?

Vic, you mentioned earlier, quote "We actually build AND engineered our Torch Pro from the get-go and did all the R&D for the device. We know all intricates about it, because someone did not build it for us and slap our name on it to just re-sell."

I am unclear about the meaning of your statement about the TorchPro. Were you saying that the TorchPro is built in such a manner, inhouse, that it does not allow an animal to see "something" coming from it? In the context of your post, it appears to suggest that the TorchPro does not emit anything an animal can see since you build them. That leads me to think that perhaps other illuminators possibly do have some flaws or something that may allow them to be seen. Am I correct?

I fully accept what Skypup is telling us about the coyote's inability to see Red or IR. I know that LED's are selected for their PEAK emission in the spectrum range that you desire. Their actual emission can be easily spread over 350 nanometers, perhaps more in some. If you are using an 850nm rated LED, it means that your peak emission is 850nm and that there is also a possibility of emission at 625 nm or lower depending on the emission distribution. They don't usually emit on a uniform bell curve. Considering that quality control may not be as exact in China as we would like, there is a high possibility that our "IR" lights are not optimized for the frequency that we expect and could quite possibly be emitting some light at levels in the spectrum that predators can see.

Judging from the experience of some pretty savvy hunters on this list, they are seeing something. I think that the question we should be pursuing in this discussion is what are they seeing and how can we avoid it. We've all seen them take notice when they have a light put on them.

The IR cut off filter over the IR illuminator cuts off 99% of the electromagnetic radiations below the rated cut off specification that the LED IR illuminator is producing. There is just a little visible red light being produced by the IR Light Emitting Diode while it is on producing gobs of IR light waves, the IR cutoff filter cuts that tiny amount of red visible light off.

It is more of a superficial technically since coyotes cannot see red visible light anyways due to the dichrromatic nature of their retinas photopigment receptor proteins, but it gives great pleasure to those concerned about the infinite possibilities of a new breed of mutant coyotes evolving throughout North America existing in nature that could possibly somehow be able to detect the tiny minimalist red visible light emissions at extended very long ranges.

If you put it in front of a tight monochromatic IR laser beam, it cuts off all of the laser beam, thereby making it not work at all even with NVO since it blocks that specific IR spectrum of the electromagnetic emissions being produced by the IR device.

This is another reason why the coyotes like to come out only at night and hunt their prey because the Sun emits so much heavy duty electromagnetic radiation during the daylight hours that the coyotes, who may have descended from vampire wolves, are blinded and repelled by the excessive sunlight carrying all these invisible electromagnetic radiation soaked with very heavy infrared rays all day long that they magically visualize. You can imagine what it would be like to be totally pounded by all this electromagnetic radiation emanating in the thermonuclear reactions inside the Sun and traveling 93,000,000 miles at 276,000 miles per second and then smashing into the poor coyotes when hunger forces them out of their dens sometimes during the day.

You can just imagine what it would feel like if your brain was being bombarded with all this excessive neural stimulating information from all these invisible electromagnetic wavelengths all day long...complete and total sensory overload and a melt down of the neurotransmitters processing all this tons and tons of invisible information that no other living creature on Earth detects.

These invisible IR devices have been being used as highly efficient coytote repellants by professional predator night hunters for many years now and it is well known that any and all visible light, infrared light, thermal emissions, and virtually every other electromagnetic emission produced anywhere in the universe by any energy source repels coyotes.

The proven facts that coyotes hear things that humans cannot hear and smell thing that humans cannot smell has absolutely nothing to do with the tiny amounts of red lights they are magically able to detect at extended long range distances with their mutant eyeballs, although now that this eye mutation has been discovered, predator hunters around the globe are also searching for mutations in the exons of both their hearing and smelling sensory chromosomes to try to find out why they hear and smell things that humans are totally unable to hear or smell.

However, given the fact that humans are unable to smell or hear anywhere near as good as coyotes with both their nose and ear sensory organs, it does give some support to the empirical sensory notion that coyotes must also be able to see hundreds of times better too, especially electromagnetic wavelengths that no other creature on Earth is able to see.

Does anyone in the military know if CENTCOM has gotten rid of all their super high powered IR & NVO devices they utilize on the battlefields since they give off so much more visible red light than out civilian legal models do by a couple of orders of magnitude yet?

One thing is for sure, they must be able to clear out a huge battlefield of any coyotes in a heartbeat with that powerful IR and Thermal gear, that is for sure!

Ok, so a 650nm laser is what color ? google it, yes it is red

100% red light emitted from the laser diode.

Well dogs and cats can see it, anyone can try it.

$5 laser pointer cats will chase the laser dot, dogs will also.

I does not matter if the critters can process the color as red or white or blue light, just the fact that they will see it.

The PVS14 will not see any color at all, but does a great job for looking around at night.

Image is in green and black, it will amplify ir light , red light, blue light, green light and all will be seen.

You just cannot tell the color, because the device cannot distinguish between different wavelengths.

The device simply will amplify the light intensity as long as the light is within the devices bandwidth, its not color specific.

Unless a coyote eyes are very different from a dogs eyes the laser pointer test will disprove the theory that dogs cannot see red. They see it just like they will see a blue laser or a green laser.

If they cannot see color they will see it as white/grey and spook all the same.

So assuming that because they cannot see color they are blind to anything red, a new red hunting suit will let you walk up to the coyote and just grab them. A coyotes eyes have adapted to night hunting very well, I have watched them for several years, and with no moon they can be approached to within 20-25 yds, with 1/8 moon 140yds. So with very little light they have far better night vision then Eye do.
laugh.gif
Not seeing red when hunting during sunrise and sunset would be a plus, I guess millions of years of evolution gets somethings right.

They also freak out when a red laser is switched on pointed at them, hogs do as well. If red worked so well a $30.00 red laser would be all that is needed. Why spend thousands of dollars on an IR laser, after all the critters can't see red so they wont be spooked. Everyone that has hunted hogs and coyotes know that a red laser pointer will send them running, thats why they drop the cash on the ir lasers to make it harder for them to see.

I will post a video when I get home of me using a red laser hog hunting, and when the red laser is switched on the hog jumped and stood still for a split second, enough time to pull the trigger. The hog was 80yds away, and the laser is switched with a pressure switch that is silent. The other hog could not see what was happening as it was very dark and just stood frozen, when the red laser was switched back on and pointed at the second hog it took off running. So they see something.

I think the fact the perception of red color is getting lost in plain sight, as b/w is far better for low light viewing. Seeing color has nothing to do with bad [beeep] night vision like the yotes and cats have, hogs not so much.

Last edited:

The street sign is over a mile out.....ITT Pinnacle tube with manual gain ALL THE WAY DOWN and still autogated!

Cattle%20Pasture%20Road%20850nmB.jpg

That is 240,000mW of 850nm IR electromagnetic radiation causing excessive neurotransmitter overloading of neural optic nerve channels.
smiley_abused.gif

Back