To zero at 100yards or 200 yards 22-250?

zr600

Were should a zero my scope for predator hunting 100 or 200 yards and why? My scope is a burris mtac 4.5x14x42 with the ballistic millimg rectile so its like a bdc system.

I have my 22-250 zero'd at about 275 right now. I also have the Leupold Varmint Hunter's reticle which acts like a bdc reticle but it only works if I have the correct load for it. I'm planning on purchasing a Nightforce or Vortex Razor GenII tactical scope.

The 22-250 shoots really flat out to about 3-400 yards so I zero long range distances. All depends on how long of shots you usually take. If the majority of your shots are close to 100 yards, zero for that.

Well my shots can be from 50-600 yards dont know how well the 22-250 would take one down at 600 yards but i would think out to 500 or so would be good with a well placed shot.

it will kill them at 600 yards. the hard part is hitting them in a killing spot at that distance. most people have no idea how far 600 yards really is. just a number thrown around for most people. i zero 1 inch high at 100 yards.

I just put a scope on mine that can actually work at night now, for predator hunting. I zero'd at 50 yards, and found that to be about 5 clicks high then at 100 yards. Should be real close to zero at 200, and very acceptable still on small ground-hog sized targets this summer out to 300. That pretty well covers it for me. If I get to any farms where I can actually air it out to 500 or 600 yards, I will just dial up on those. This is using 55gr bullets.

I usually match the zero to the ballistics......read the box of ammo you are going to use and it will give trajectory with either a 100yd zero, 200yd zero or both...

Not to mention all the software available today for research.

I forget what I zerod at exactly but I made it so its almost 1.5" high at 100 and it's about 4.5 low at 300. I think it ends up being around 260 max point blank range with a 3" spread.

100 yds for the close ones. If they're farther out, chances are you'll have more time to figure out your hold/click adjustment.

Last edited:
This... 1.5" high at 100 yds with my current load, puts me about 1.5 - 2" low at 250 yds. I figure I can hold "dead on" out to about 260-270 yds.

First Id pick a round then Id run it thru a chronograph. Then Id plug all the pertinate into into a free balistic calculator. Id find the best match for my round in terms of rise and drop for your shooting situations.

It's personal choice and everyone should do what works best for them.

I like to Zero at 200. It means I can kill a coyote without adjusting out to 300-325. If the coyote is hung up farther than that I have quick access to my elevation dial. I do all my ranging before I start calling just in case Old Wiley hangs up.

Most coyotes I terminate are 70-200 yards. With a 200 zero I just have to get my illuminated dot on them and squeeze.

Back