--Shed Dog Training--

blopez50

Has anyone ever trained a shed dog before? My new Blackmouth Cur pup will be here in 10 days and I'm pumped.

I've never done more than basic obedience training with dogs so this will be a pretty new venture for me. My plan was to familiarize her with small pieces of antler early while working on basic training. As she gets older, I was going to start using some scent and one of the rubber training antlers for hiding/fetching. This is obviously a simplified version but that seems to be the general idea I have from reading.

Any tricks or tips from the pros?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,
While I have no previous experience training a dog for this task, your training may be further along if you let her actually chew on some antlers as a chew toy... she will crash very the taste and thus be apt to look for them...hoping so anyway..
K9 drug dogs are trained by introducing the scents thru their dog toys and going from there.

I've been reading up on that and have some mixed ideas.... On one hand, I can see how she would associate the smell with her toys and it could work out great. On the other hand, I don't want her to learn that antlers are chew toys.

Maybe I'm over thinking it though! It's been known to happen....

I hauled 600lbs of antler two yrs ago with the help of my decoy dog. Let your dog think antlers are chew toys it'll take some time for the dog to damage the antler since that seems to be what your worried about. If the dog doesn't think antlers are fun it won't care about them. My dog pays for his own vet bills and food but I still find more than him but it depends on what kind of country your looking in. Saying you don't want your dog to think antlers are chew toys is like saying you don't want your bird dog to like birds.

Back