Remington 788 222 Question

Smokin250

I stopped into a gun shop around here that always has some neat stuff yesterday and they had a 788 in 222 for sale....Price Right. At least in my opinion. The only draw back is that it is missing a mag. I did a quick search and came up with a replacement that was plastic, not metal like the rest ive seen. Without searching too much more how hard will it be to find a factory replacement magazine for it? Also, roughly what would it be worth? The blueing and barrel look to very very clean. Bore looked good from what I could see, stock had some marks here and there which is to be expected.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Brian

Aftermarket metal magazines can usually be found at "Numrich gun parts" I have bought several and a couple I had to tinker with to fit properly. Originals can be found on Gunbroker but they are not cheap! Good luck and I think you will love the 788

Mine was unfired, 30 years old and "new in box". I paid $1000 for it. It is without question the most accurate rifle I own. The .222 is one of those rare cartridges that will down a coyote reliably, yet not blow a fox to pieces inside 100 yards. I shoot 40 grain Federal Premium Vmax's out of it.

Hope you get it. The .222 is a great caliber for groundhogs and predators. I've never seen one in either Remington or Savage that wasn't very accurate and it's easy to reload for.

Skim coat bed that rifle, float the barrel, replace the spring with a .068 ink pen spring, 1/3" groups with a BUNCH of loads will be the result.

Brother bought one in 222, like new, did all the above, then had the barrel set back to 223 minimum spec with short leade. Now, does not want it, diabetes has got his eyes all messed up. Anyone interested, he wants $475 for the rifle, send me a pm and I will give you his address. The gun looks 95% at least!!

So, the above gun for $250 is a shore nuff steal. We never see 788's for sale in our part of the country any more. The folks that have them never want to sell them and they just get passed down to kin.

They have it and I am going to pick it up when I get off today. They have another 788 next it. The carbine barrel 243 with a scope (not sure on brand, but most likely something cheap) for 450

Good score, my favorite rifle is a 788 in 6mm rem. Just remember- Take it easy on the bolt handle. Some runs had a bad weld on the bolt handle. If you get too forceful with it, it can/might break off... Don't ask how I know this... It's not a super tough fix, but it's is a PIA, and it'll screw up a hunt pretty quick!

Originally Posted By: mutthunterGood score, my favorite rifle is a 788 in 6mm rem. Just remember- Take it easy on the bolt handle. Some runs had a bad weld on the bolt handle. If you get too forceful with it, it can/might break off... Don't ask how I know this... It's not a super tough fix, but it's is a PIA, and it'll screw up a hunt pretty quick!

The real problem isn't the fact that, "Some runs had a bad weld on the bolt handle".

The problem with bolt handles on Model 788 rifles is the fact that .473" sized cartridges like the 6MM, the 243, the 22-250, and the 7MM-08, when loaded hot, will cause considerable bolt compression on the rear lugs and the bolts lock up and then the silvered soldered handles get damaged and break off.

The action is really not a strong action capable of handling high bolt face thrust cartridges due to the bolt compression issue. For the .378" cartridges with less rearward bolt thrust pressure, it works great. And most of the rifles do shoot very well.

Before the vultures swoop, I own several 788 rifles, including a 6MM Rem. I simply don't load them as hot as I might do with a forward locking lug bolt rifle, due to reality with the 788 design. And I guess I was lucky and I didn't buy one with the bolt handle problem.
smile.gif

But I did learn the lesson about bolt thrust directly from 22-250 cartridges that I loaded near the top and shot the cartridges in a 788 Rem years ago. Eventually excess head space resulted in the rifle. That was after I had the bolt handle reattached once. All due to excessive bolt thrust. Bad juju. I later acquired another Model 788 in 22-250, kept the loads reasonable, and I have had no problems with it.

Winny's on the money here. My 22-250 liked the hotter loads but the bolt didn't. I backed off the loads and accuracy was still there and the bolt got happy too!

Originally Posted By: phsnt hntrBuy and run fast that is a great price on an awesome rifle. I have one in 22-250.

+1

My only gripe about this one is that the magazine is too short
for its accuracy load, so it gets used as a single shot. With
that load, it will do 1/2MOA! With loads which will fit into
that short magazine, groups are 1-1 1/4".

I have seen the more common calibers sell for 450-600 in decent used condition around my area. They go fast at gun shows. 250 is a steal for a 222 IMO even without a mag based on what ive seen the more common 243s, 308s, and 30-30s go for. I saw a guy about a year ago selling 4 or 5 remington 788s at a gun show and he had the sold by the time i went back past his table 5 hrs later.

I ordered mag last night from Numrich. Im excited about it. Although I have zero used for a 222...I just think its neat. And the gun itself is great. I like everything about it so far. Looking for extra scope and base as we speak too. Cant wait to shoot it now.

Back