8" or 10" high boots?

SDCoyoteCaller

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new pair of boots. I have it narrowed down to the UA brow tine boot or the Cabela's ultralight boot by Meindl. I am leaning a little more towards the UA boot, but it is only 8" high versus the Cabela's boot that is 10" high. I am used to a higher boot, as my current boots are 11" high, so I am reluctant to go down to a shorter boot. I can hunt in some pretty rugged and hilly terrain at times, so the added ankle support of a higher boot might be nice. The snow can get pretty deep at times, so the extra height might be nice in those circumstances too.

Please educate me on your experiences with the different height boots and the pros and cons of each. If I go with the 8" UA boot, I want to make sure I won't be disappointed. Also, if any of you have experience with either of these two boots, I would love to hear it. Thanks alot!!

The meindls are 100 times the boot that the under armours are. I see no problem with a 10in boot but go to the store and try a few on. Meindl has some shorter offerings as well. They will last you years UA boots lifespan is measured in months.

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I ended up going with neither of these brands. I had read that the boots made by Meindl for Cabela's were of a lesser quality than the regular Meindls, so I decided to go with Irish Setter Havoc boots. I am hoping I made a good decision. The last boots I bought were Cabela's Outfitter series and they have lasted me over 15 years. Hopefully, I can get that performance out of these new boots, but from my research on various boots it don't seem like they are made like they used to be, unfortunately. Thanks!

Mark, I bought the Meindl's from Cabelas and they are the most comfortable out of the box boots I have bought. Plus they have a great warranty.

Hey Kent,

Thanks for the input on the Cabela's Meindl's. The Irish Setter 800g Havoc's I bought showed up today and they are pretty darn comfortable also. I think I will really like them. I have thought about getting a 400g boot for the early season when the temps are not too cold, so maybe I will go with the Meindl's for those. Thanks again.

Mark

I've worn the Cabela's Meindls since 1975. Of course I've worn out several pairs. There's a reason I keep buying them.
Comfortable tough and dependable. I have the Canadian model I think it's called. Insulated, goretex with lots of ankle support.

I wore them last week for 3 days of calling in -30C

Depends on how deep the BS gets...

Sorry, couldn't help it... Lame joke...

I have only used jungle, desert or gortex...

Just picked up a pair of the miendl perfect 10s from cabelas and love them. Only wore them for about 4 hours but my feet stayed dry and warm in a foot of snow.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Depends on how deep the BS gets...

Sorry, couldn't help it... Lame joke...

I have only used jungle, desert or gortex...

Ha Ha... good one! In that case, I better go with hip waders.
smile.gif

I like 8" or even 6". I adjust to deeper conditions with gaiters or over pants. I don't see the need for the extra weight of a taller boot.

If one is crossing water a lot, then knee high rubbers are my preference. But I haven't seen that much need for tall rubbers in SD.

Back