.224 GMX bullets - anyone shoot these?

Theshedhunter

I may experiment with some long for caliber monolithics. Hornady makes these gilding metal alloy bullets in 50, 55, and 70gr. Want to find a coyote load that will put a pass through hurtin on a wolf inside 300 yds with .223 velocities. From what I'm reading these monolithics are usually going right through deer shoulders and bone etc. at the right speeds. Want to have confidence for a wolf shot if I'm carrying the .223. 1:8 twist RAR. Any input or flaming appreciated!

Originally Posted By: blopez50Never shot the GMX but I've just never been into the monolithics.

If it were me I'd shoot one of these 2:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665774/...=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130769/...=ProductFinding

I have loaded and shot lots of 60 gr partitions and powder combinations and cannot get them to group under 4" in this rifle. I'm a little hesitant to shoot these over 100 yds at a wolf sized animal. Don't get me wrong the partition is where I started this quest. It's a great hunting bullet. Just not in this gun. Need a near MOA shooting punch through bullet that my rifle likes, that has enough velocity to expand out at 300 yds.

I have killed deer with the 223 and 22/250 with the 55g Hornady.

65g Sierra is a shore nuff tough bullet. I would opt for the 63g Sierra semi point, great expansion and penetration.
Accuracy with the 63g Sierra is really fantastic in both the 223 and 22/250. I have shot a lot of the 63's in the 250 and 220 Swift.

GMX's are extremely tough bullets, and I have worked up a load for my 22/250 AI, killed paper real good.

With mono bullets, go light and run them fast.

I've been using Barnes 45gr XLC's in my 22 Hornet at about 2,900fps, and on occasion in my 222RemMag at 3,600fps. They perform very well on game.

For several years, I have been trying to get a lion to the call, with no luck. However, I usually carry the Hornet for this and am confident it will work as intended when (if) I get the chance.

I think the 50gr GMX out of a 223 would work great on a wolf.

Thanks for all the info guys! I will be picking up some 50 and 55 gr GMX's and some Game kings based on the recommendations here. Will post pics if I get lucky!

Back