Full Moon!

It's not that you can't hunt as well on a full moon, you just have to do things much differently. Critters still have to eat, but limit their movements because they can see, and be seen, better.
The illumination of the full moon makes it much more difficult for us, as hunters, to be undetected by our targeted species. They see much better at night than we do! Our movements to calling stands, and places to call from must be different, or we'll be seen before the first call is made.....or, pinpointed and seen at the first call. The darker the night, the better we'll be hidden by our scanning and shooting lights.
It's tough enough getting to your preferred calling locations..... plotting where our scent cones are going, not being seen, or busted otherwise in total darkness, without adding the difficulty of a moonlit approach!
On the rare occasion that we even hunt anymore in full moonlight for canine predators, we always make sure that we can move and set up completely in the shadows.
Good luck!
F1

I don't really pay much attention to moon phase. But then again I hunt anytime I get a chance. When I work all day and then on call out duty every so often I go hunting every chance I get no matter the condition. Just my 2 cents. But full moon does seem to hamper the calling but hey it is still better than sitting on the couch wondering if I should have gone. So my motto hit the woods every chance you get.
Daryl

Originally Posted By: Flyrod1It's not that you can't hunt as well on a full moon, you just have to do things much differently. Critters still have to eat, but limit their movements because they can see, and be seen, better.
The illumination of the full moon makes it much more difficult for us, as hunters, to be undetected by our targeted species. They see much better at night than we do! Our movements to calling stands, and places to call from must be different, or we'll be seen before the first call is made.....or, pinpointed and seen at the first call. The darker the night, the better we'll be hidden by our scanning and shooting lights.
It's tough enough getting to your preferred calling locations..... plotting where our scent cones are going, not being seen, or busted otherwise in total darkness, without adding the difficulty of a moonlit approach!
On the rare occasion that we even hunt anymore in full moonlight for canine predators, we always make sure that we can move and set up completely in the shadows.
Good luck!
F1

I agree with the Flyrod1, And Flyrod04,(whats up with that guys?) Darker the better,for me,for straight calling. You can get away with so much,and I just seem to call more on moonless nights...

That said,I do however agree with Dave (6mm06,nice dogs Dave!!) if you have predetermined sniping positions that you can move into without detection,such as baits and maybe light calling,places where you have elevation,and a large overwatch area I have had some decent luck hunting,and there is just something beutiful about a moon lite winter night with snow on the ground..if you dont see any coyotes you can still get some clean fresh air in your lungs and marvel at God's stars!!!

Nice dog,UltraMag!!! keep at it..

Last edited:
When the moon is half stage or better you need to approach your calling site much like you would in daytime. Stay close to cover and try to stay in the shadows especially at your calling site. I think coyotes seeing your approach have more influence on poorer calling success during half stage or better moon. I go whenever the weather is good and my wife approves it !! Kevin

This is how I cut my teeth! In predator calling anyway, with a full moon and snow. Some of the most hair raising action ever! I used to think you couldn't call them in when the sun was shining, I wiil say the moon, full that is plays a big roll in daytime calling?

Originally Posted By: SmallboreThis is how I cut my teeth! In predator calling anyway, with a full moon and snow. Some of the most hair raising action ever! I used to think you couldn't call them in when the sun was shining, I wiil say the moon, full that is plays a big roll in daytime calling? +1

Being from mn I have done more calling under the moon than not. That being said the times I have hunted with lights and no moon have not been as successful as the full moon nights. Strange how the coyotes seem to act differently in different areas.

Back