Fixed or adj stock?

I have both and hunt with a Adj. I can change it if needed for any shot. Some will pull your beard this one will not.
imagejpg1_zps7e81e90d.jpg

You can move the cover if you want for a better cheek weld.
MasterBlaster

I guess I'm the weirdo here, but I wouldn't trade my A2 stocks for a truckload of adjustable. I don't like the looks, the rattles that some have, and they don't fit my cheek very well.

I use Ace entry and Magpul fixed carbine sticks. Works for me and my wife since I prefer short stocks and she is pretty small. When I had adjustables they were never opened past the second position at the most anyway. Fixed stocks also eliminate any annoying wobble or noise as well.

I generally use adjustable now on my ARs. The Magpul UBR that MasterBlaster shows above is a great stock, but it is very heavy relative to other adjustables. I have one for 3 gun competitions and I really like the balance that gives my rig for that. And it does not pull on the beard.

The Magpul MOE is good, light, and affordable. They can rattle a little bit, but there's a trick with electrical tape you can use to rid it of most of the wobble.

The Magpul CTR is very good, a smidge heavier, and a little more expensive. It has a locking mechanism that eliminates rattle altogether. This is my go to butt stock for a build unless there's a reason to switch (weight/balance of UBR, using a PRS, etc.).

I like the adjustables because I sometimes hunt in cold weather. I can always get the right length of pull.

And as far as any of the wobble goes, it's a pet peeve more than anything else. They don't rattle and scare off coyotes or anything.

Needless to say I favor Magpul.

Sendit

I like both, but for hunting I would use a collapsible stock for convenience. The AR I hunt with has a Magpul UBR on it. I've tried a few different ones and ended up settling on the UBR. Another one I really like is the B5 Bravo, it has a real nice cheek rest feel to it.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Ha
lol.gif
ya forgot about the beard pulling that is a down side and does piss me off every now and then.
My magpul does the samething. Missed me off more than anything.

I took off collapsible and put on a fixed to help reduce rattle noise. They both have their pros and cons but I prefer a fixed stock. Just my $.02......

I use an Ace skeleton on my hunting rifles. I really like the foam pad on the cheek instead of cold plastic in the winter, and the length doesn't bother me even with thick coats on. But I keep one lower with a MOE around to use when shorter people come over to shoot. It's a nice stock and way better than mil-spec adjustables.

Originally Posted By: cmatera If you hunt where it get's cold, a collapsable stock is a necessity for when you are or are not wearing a bulky coat.

I find a fixed stock more generally more comfortable, but I agree the adjustable is so much nicer when you're wearing several layers of clothes.

Back