Were your Christmas Gifts worth opening?

Tbone-AZ

I have two kids and most of the time the gifts they give me are nice.. Thoughtful, but something you toss in a box until they are 18 and show them the stuff they have been giving you for years isn't useful. lol

It's loving, but that is about it. I have also tried to tell family that i prefer gift cards so that i can get the things for hunting and fishing that i really want.. Its funny when family gives me some sort of lure that could only be used on fish that don't live within 400 miles of me.
thumbdown.gif

This Christmas, however, my daughters gave me a box of bullets that i do use.(lucky guess i think) and a book.

The book was great. I haven't seen a book lately that i would classify as a page turner, but this was it.. I read it in just a couple of days and found myself reading rather than watching tv. (very rare for me)

It was a book called "Endgame".By Matt Lewis. It's a total FBI, CIA, good looking woman, stop the terrorists before the world ends. It's a new author and it's his first book and I loved it. I totally recommend this book.
you can't get it in stores, just online.
http://www.amazon.com/Endgame-Matt-Lewis...e+by+matt+lewis

Did you get anthing useful?

Wife got me a new pair of steiner binocs to replace my failing pair. And some high end cologne.

Because I smell bad.

Momma Turtle gave me a Hawkeye Bore Scope, along with the 90* eye piece...When trying it out, I found a stress crack in the barrel of my .308, about five inches in front of the chamber...I now have a new Douglas XX SS Match barrel in 6.5 Creedmore mounted on the action..

Probably the best, and most useful, Christmas present I've received in a long time...I now know that my barrels are really clean....

She also gave me a neat, very old, wood box about the size of four shoe boxes, stacked two by two, it is carved and wire inlaid and has a few hidden compartments...Not sure yet what all I will keep in it...

hey Old Turtle,when are you going to come back up this way?Sure would like to finish our conversation. By the way,bring the scope.

my little girl got me 2 of jack londons books. the call of the wild and to start a fire. i read both when i was small, and am having a hard time putting them down now.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZNice stuff.. Have you tried the light?

How far does it work out too?

Yes ive tried but nothing serious. I have had a green one for a yr now and its great! You can see a long ways.

I got 2 new knee wraps/braces that are actually flexible enough to be comfortable.
Had several goat kids born on Christmas and that was nice.
Then we had a very nice peaceful & quiet day at home.

I asked for a Cabalas gift card. I got a pair of rubber hunting boots, some ammo and the 2nd generation Primos bi-pod trigger stick. I'm pumped about the bipod cause I was using a monopod before with a light attached. Always wanted a bipod but none did what I needed until now....
These new sticks are better than the originals.

very nice stuff..
OT i think there is a line of guys that would love to see you use that bore scope on their rifles.
wink.gif

I know i would.

That book for the COlt family looks intersting as well. (I might check that out)

There is a book signing wiht the new Author of the book at the top that i posted that I am going to tonight. I figure it's local and a nice store. I will go get the book signed and see what he has in the works next.

I have a slight question about the sticks. Would it be better to mount the like the pivoting head? If something comes in off of center your light might not be where you want it.

I know that when i am calling during the day, i have my hands full just getting the rifle, settled on sticks, and then running the remote for the call. I don't know if there is just enough time or focus left in me to worry about getting the lights lined up just right too.. I guess it's just a matter of practice.

Quote: I have a slight question about the sticks. Would it be better to mount the like the pivoting head? If something comes in off of center your light might not be where you want it.

I know that when i am calling during the day, i have my hands full just getting the rifle, settled on sticks, and then running the remote for the call. I don't know if there is just enough time or focus left in me to worry about getting the lights lined up just right too.. I guess it's just a matter of practice.

Good suggestion, Tbone. Even so, light will (almost) never be pointed exactly right. Might be better aligned on sticks, but the light I have mounted on shooting rest on chair never seems to be correct elevation....all depends on how fast they come in and how much time you have to correct. Windage no problem, elevation is and that would be easier corrected on sticks, but IMO light would be better on swivel head.

Regards,
hm

Cool.. Love that seat.. simple small, portable and removable.

Just an idea..
But... If you had a mount that held onto the light that had a vertical pivot, and an arm. that can velcrow to your thigh, then you can adjust the up and down just by lifting or lowering your leg.

The chair has undergone many minor revisions over the years and does indeed incorporate a vertical pivot, albeit not attached to shooter. It is not too difficult to grab light handle and pivot up/down w/left hand while swinging chair and controlling rifle w/right hand. With a little coordination (and a lot of luck) everything winds up pointed in the same general direction at the appropriate time. I no longer attempt to chew gum/tobacco while night hunting, however.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZhaha, ya, with trying to run the call, the light and shooting you are a busy guy.

The call? I knew I forgot something!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
I have a slight question about the sticks. Would it be better to mount the like the pivoting head? If something comes in off of center your light might not be where you want it.

i appologize for getting back to you so late. i use that light to scan only. i have a shooting light mounted to my gun that is in line with the scope. I stand at night so I can pivot quickly and then turn on the shooting light for id and shot....

Back