Coyote fleshing Knife recommendation

fratri

Hi there, I have been skinning and trying to tan a few coyotes over the years but could use your recommendations for a dedicated fleshing knife....
Thanks in advance

Any other type of coyote fleshing knife besides post? Just looking for some more options before I commit....

fratri.
fleshing knives vary in shape,size and comfort.
i use a Necker. its what i started with and works good for me.
any reputable brand should be good. its just a learning process to learn the one you get.

I did a lot of research before buying a Necker 600 and have no regrets. I use it mainly for coyotes and fox. It has round plastic handles. I see the Post has square wood handles. May be worth taking a close look at all the features before purchase. Like many fur handling equipment, you generally get what you pay for - there are few real "bargains". May even be worth looking for a good used one, as the blades on a good flesher will probably last a lifetime or two. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses guys....How big of a fleshing knife should I start off with.... 8" -10" ? or bigger?
One other thing is it best to flesh it as soon as you skin it or should you wait a few hours or a day to give the flesh a chance to dry up a bit?

Nothing wrong with a Necker knife, used one for several years. The Necker is a stiff knife. I went to using a caribou knife on coyotes. The caribou is more flexible than a Necker.

Last edited:
I have a 2 sided caribou knife and am cutting too much holes in the hide, any tricks to using it correctly on a coyote?

Originally Posted By: John56Just use the dull side, I don't use the sharp side at all with coyotes.
Both sides seem sharp... neither side seems dull but I am guessing the inner part of the curved portion of the knife would be the dull side? Should I try and dull the blade a bit, would that help?

Originally Posted By: fratriOriginally Posted By: John56Just use the dull side, I don't use the sharp side at all with coyotes.
Both sides seem sharp... neither side seems dull but I am guessing the inner part of the curved portion of the knife would be the dull side? Should I try and dull the blade a bit, would that help?

Just dull that side and you'll be ready to go.

For coyotes I use the cheap blue handle one. Think it's Chinese. Works well. Most times coyotes flesh pretty easy. I have a homemade fleshing knife for tougher jobs.
I hear great things about the ones mentioned, Post, Necker and Cariboo. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I dulled it and big difference...it doesn't cut into the fur no where near as much. I still got to be a little better but this dulling of it certainly has helped.

Originally Posted By: John56Originally Posted By: fratriOriginally Posted By: John56Just use the dull side, I don't use the sharp side at all with coyotes.

Just dull that side and you'll be ready to go.

Back