Guns all sticky

ducatideputy

My Father-in-law has a Browning shotgun that has that rubberized coating on it. For some reason he sprayed it down with WD-40 and put it in his gun safe about six months ago. I pulled it out the other day and it felt like I picked up a glue stick. The coating was very tacky. Enough to leave visible finger prints in the coating. Can someone help.

WD40 seems to be a fixall for some generation. It gums up gun mechanisms but is ok for removing stickers off a new appliances.

I doubt there is anything anyone can do to help at this point, besides completely tearing the gun down and removing and re-doing that coating.
scared.gif

It sounds like the WD-40 all but ruined that coating. I'm not all that familiar with the Browning so I'm not exactly sure what kind of coating you're talking about. Maybe someone who is much more knowledgeable than myself about Brownings can chime in with better news than I've thrown out there for you.

WD-40 is fine for metals but I sure wouldn't spray it on any kind of rubberized coating and expect it not to react with it in some way.

Carb cleaner may get it off without any damage to the finish. There are all kinds of products that will keep a gun from rusting, but WD40 is one of the worst things to get near a gun. I was just talking to my father-in-law about that this morning. We are at about 4 degrees this morning and it reminded me of rabbit hunting with my uncle and his sons. They all had Browning A5s and instead of taking them down and cleaning them, they just sprayed WD40 in the action and called it good. When we hunted on days like this, they had high priced single shots, while the pumps my brother and I had kept running flawlessly.

There is an old saying,,,"If it moves and it's not supposed to, use Duct Tape, and if it's supposed to move and doesn't, use WD-40."...Sadly, there was a generation, much after mine that thought WD-40 was a cure-all for everything...Mine was 3-in-1 Oil...

As stated, you will probably need to totally remove the base finish and have it redone...There is a company in the St Louis area that specializes in refinishing Brownings and they come out looking like new...I'm sure you can Google it and find it, if not, I may have the name and number available with a couple of phone calls, but I would have no idea as to the price...

I haven't looked, but there may be a forum for Brownings on the 'net that may be able to provide some specific information on the problem..

At one time I had a BSA spotting scope that had a similar finish on it and without applying anything, it became gummy in the plastic storage case and I wound up rubbing off the "All Weather Rubberized" coating just to get it where I could handle it...It took a lot of elbow grease and alcohol...At least now, it can be handled without applying a lot of black on your hands...

Don't know about your stock but cleaning well with rubbing alcohol has worked for me on a few items with rubberized coating.

WD40 is petroleum based,probably ate into the "dura touch coating". DO NOT USE carb cleaner,rubbing alcohol may work though.

Try talcum/baby powder. Lightly rub it on. Remove it with a clean dry paintbrush or a slightly damp rag. Repeat until happy.

If none of the suggestions here work and you decide you are going to end up refinishing it anyway, you might try going over it with some type of clear finish to seal up the stickiness. (at least as a temporary remedy until the actual refinish)

Like others have said I think your screwed buddy the dura touch on Brownings is a pita if you ask me own one and have had a few others even some gun oils will damage that camo or black finish not sure which you have but both the blk and camo stocked Brownings have the same finish for future reference only wipe these stocks with a damp rag to remove dirt/mud and only get oil on the metal!! I always clean and lube the metal first then wipe the stock like I said with a damp rag and havent had problems since cleaning that way ugh!!

I own a Browning Gold 10 ga, that ended up with some butt stock damage due to over tightening the retaining screw. So I ordered a new replacement stock, from the aftermarket Browning parts place. They only had a "Dura-Touch" Mossy Oak something stock, and my gun was a black stalker, that I rattle can camoed, for open water hunting in a layout boat. So I planned on painting over what ever camo pattern came on the replacement stock anyway. Problem was when the stock came, the Dura-Touch stock was as sticky as fly paper! I couldn't paint over that! So I stripped it off with a paint stripper, and steel wool. Then re-painted it. I saved over $100 by doing this, rather than buying a black stalker replacement stock from Brownells.

But in your case, you might want to talk to that re-finishing place OT suggested.

Oh, incidentally Browning stopped using that finish a number of years ago! I think you learned why.
cursing.gif

Squeeze

Ok got home early and started on the BPS. Put it in the bath tub, got a wash cloth and a large bottle of rubbing alcohol. I soaked the wash cloth in alcohol and began with the rub down. I did this several times then let it dry. It actually worked. Almost all of the tackiness was gone. I repeated the process a few more times and it turned out as good as new. I would be willing to bet I just got lucky on this one.

I have the same Soft Touch rubberized finish on a Traditions muzzleloader. I didn't put anything on it. It is stainless steel. I clean it with Hoppes #9 solvent, as I use the Blackhorn 209 powder. There might have been a drop or 2 got on the finish, but not the whole forearm and buttstock, and I found the whole darn gun nothing but a slimy sticky mess. Acetone takes it right off, but leaves you with a white stock. haha. Traditions said they are going to cover it, and that they have had a few stocks do this, but do not know why. I have found several articles on this happening, but no one has nailed it down. My answer is I don't need it to begin with and will not get another.

Back