Scope flip up covers

coolbrze

Bought a Leupold VX-R for my AR, what do y'all recommend for flip up caps to protect the scope? Are the Butler Creeks any good? If so, which sizes do I need?

From my understanding, the Butler Creeks were changed and the new design isn't very good. I have always used the old style Butler Creeks and have been very happy with them, now I will use the Leupold Alumina flip ups.

I've gone through 3 sets of the Butler Creek (non multiflex version). I've got a set of the Multiflex's now. Hope they're better, I was told they are....

I recently bought a set of butler creeks, they don't seem any different to me than the ones I've been buying for over 20 years. I dunno if they've changed, or if I just got old stock or what.

If it were me, and since you have a Leupold optic, I would spend the few extra bucks and get a set of the Leupold flip ups..I have some of the older Butler Creek and they are starting to give me some problems with staying closed, but then, I've had them for quite a few years and used them under some abnormally harsh conditions...

If you're tired of breaking Butler Creek POS covers. Strongly consider the Aadland Engineering scope covers. They may LOOK like BC...but they aren't even in the same universe.

http://www.aadmount.com/Caps/Caps.html

PICT0496.JPG

They look nice...but $100??? I think I'll pass. Neoprene scope coats and bikini covers are good enough for now.

Last edited:
You can keep spending your $20 on Butler Creek as long as you want...but for $100...THEY ARE WORTH IT.

NOT ONLY THAT, but all you have to do is contact Jon and ask him to make you a set to the specs of your optics objective and eye piece if he doesn't have what you need. He takes custom orders all the time.

My 17lb rifle says..."Try that 10-15 times with your Butler Creeks"

IMAG1121_zps3bb39492.jpg

Originally Posted By: sendit223Those AADMounts look good. What are they made of? Have you tried to Cerakote them?

Sendit

I have tried to Cerakote Butler Creek caps, and it just does NOT work.

These are of a completely different kind of material and I have no doubt that it WILL work...but I have not done it myself. Not yet anyway.

I guess if I felt the need to carry my rifle around by the scope cap... LOL

I have no doubt they're great quality. The BC ones cost less than $10 each & I've never broke one, guess I just don't abuse them enough. Now that I've said that I'll prolly break one the next time out...

Comes down to what you really need. If I was using a scoped rifle professionally, on a SWAT team or in the service for example, I'd prolly pay the $100 and not bat an eye.

Originally Posted By: cbass16
My 17lb rifle says..."Try that 10-15 times with your Butler Creeks"

Well, now that kind of changes things!
thumbup1.gif
. I edited my previous post to say "good enough for now". Perhaps when I get a better job and have more spending cash, I will look into upgrading to some Aadland scope covers. Right now I have some pretty nice rifles and equipment, but nothing high end. I plan on owning a minimal number of firearms so I can equip them with the best as funds allow.

Last edited:
BC covers turned to complete garbage a few yrs ago.
For a Leupold scope, you will find nothing better than the Alumina covers.

I made have to try a set of Aadmount for a Zeiss.

Just ordered a set of Vortex flip ups @ $9 each. They are said to be better than the POS BC flip ups.

I'm a pretty big fan of the scope bikini. I like the way it works.

Those ones CBass put up are pretty slick. If I was running and gunning like them ONeil Ops guys do, it'd be a clear choice.

Originally Posted By: fair_chaseBC covers turned to complete garbage a few yrs ago.
For a Leupold scope, you will find nothing better than the Alumina covers.

I made have to try a set of Aadmount for a Zeiss.

Just ordered a set of Vortex flip ups @ $9 each. They are said to be better than the POS BC flip ups.

I'd like to hear your opinion once they come in.

Originally Posted By: cbass16I have tried to Cerakote Butler Creek caps, and it just does NOT work.

I didn't have any trouble with air cure Cerakote on my BC caps. I'm pretty sure I'm not as hard on my gear as you guys, but I don't baby it at all. The Cerakote has held up fine on mine.

I was asking because the AAD material looks more flexible than BC. Thanks.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish The BC ones cost less than $10 each & I've never broke one, guess I just don't abuse them enough. Now that I've said that I'll prolly break one the next time out...

I don't consider myself to be abusive to my equipment but I do USE what I have. In one season of hunting I broke at least 8 sets of butler creek's. They are JUNK.

The leupold (& Swaro makes one VERY simular) alumi-flips are the greatest thing since sliced bread. We just need Ziess & NF to start making them. Somehow I find it much easier to pay $100 for a aluminum threaded lense cover than an injected slip on... The addys do come with great warrenty though...???

$100 may sound like a lot.. but a scratch lens will cost you MUCH more than that.

Back