52 gr. Berger Loads

shelton573

Hello folks,

Over the Christmas holiday I picked up some 52 gr Berger match varmint bullets to try for the 223 and 22-250. Just curious if anyone has any powder recommendation for them? Hodgedon doesn't list a 52 gr option on their site for 223 so will have to go with hornady load data. Powders I have are H4895, H4350, Varget and Benchmark. Also have H335 but it leaks from my thrower and cant figure out why. Any info for 223 or 22-250 is much appreciated!

Shelton

Last edited:
I have had decent luck with Benchmark in my AR (223). They seem to shoot well on paper but I have not shot a lot of coyotes with them. Have not shot them in my 22-250.

You can use 55 gr data and work up 748,8208,CFE 223, I use N 133 in my AR. Look at the web site again check the box for all bullets and all powder should have 52 gr info.
MB

Varget, Varget, VARGET!
I use the same bullet only in the varmint/hunting form.
SUB MOA at 200 yards out of a TC venture/predator and off a bi-pod summer or winter.

Thanks for the info guys! I am going to try to stick with the powders I currently have. With the new truck purchase i am trying to manage money better until i get used to the payment hah! Forgot to add that the 223 is a savage 11 bolt action.

Originally Posted By: MasterBlasterYou can use 55 gr data and work up 748,8208,CFE 223, I use N 133 in my AR. Look at the web site again check the box for all bullets and all powder should have 52 gr info.
MB

I tried that and for some reason it jumps from 50 to 53 to 55. Would 53s be close enough to use? I will prolly just stick with Hornady data to be safe but would be good to know for future reference. Thanks again guys!

Shelton

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357 H335 is like sand compared the Coffee ground type powders like Varget. Are you using a Lee powder dispenser?

Yes it is a lee. It leaks it consistent to where it will throw consistent charges but still don't want to mess with the mess. My buddy has been loading for years and was impressed by how consistent it is with stick powder but I can't get over not being able to run spherical powder.

Shelton

I would go with varget. Great powder for the 223 I think load on can is 27.5 I run a little bit hotter than that in a model 12 and it a sob moa shooter if I do my part

Thanks for the info guys! I think I am going to try the varget and benchmark for sure. My rifle is a savage 11 with a 1:9 twist. I currently have a load worked up for the 53 gr vmax that will shoot around .6"-.75" with 25.7 gr of H4895. I dont want to push it any harder than that right now since it is cold. I just want to make a load with a powder that is better suited for the 223.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: shelton573Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357 H335 is like sand compared the Coffee ground type powders like Varget. Are you using a Lee powder dispenser?

Yes it is a lee. It leaks it consistent to where it will throw consistent charges but still don't want to mess with the mess. My buddy has been loading for years and was impressed by how consistent it is with stick powder but I can't get over not being able to run spherical powder.

Shelton

The reason that I asked is because I have an RCBS and a Lee on my bench. I have not used the Lee in a while, but I believe that I tightened the screw where the handle is and it reduced the leakage significantly. Keep in mind that it does make it stiffer to throw a charge however. Good luck with your reloads.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Originally Posted By: shelton573Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357 H335 is like sand compared the Coffee ground type powders like Varget. Are you using a Lee powder dispenser?

Shelton

The reason that I asked is because I have an RCBS and a Lee on my bench. I have not used the Lee in a while, but I believe that I tightened the screw where the handle is and it reduced the leakage significantly. Keep in mind that it does make it stiffer to throw a charge however. Good luck with your reloads.

I tried tightening it but I am afraid I will break it. I tightened it up and it would barely leak but I couldn't get it to consistantly throw because of the stiffness you referred to. I think if I worked with it and got used to it, it wouldn't be a problem though. I will have to mess with the screw again one day and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Shelton

With the 52gr Berger in .223 I use 26.5 grs of H4895 with good results. Very accurate.

Usual disclaimer: start lower and work up. Good luck!

With the 52 Berger in my 22-250, it came together beautifully right at 36.5 grains of Varget.
That was using a Fed210 primer, Nosler custom brass, and a loading manual standard OAL of 2.350. Start lower and work up. 35.5 for example was another great sweet spot in my particular rifle. But 36.5 of Varget with a 52 will be plenty fast. If you want something faster in fact, I'd say look at Reloder 15. I was running 35.9 of Varget with a 55BK this past summer at 3,725.

For the 22-250 I use the 52 grain Berger with a CCI primer and 36.7 grains of IMR 4320. It is the most accurate load I've found for my 22-250's. It's a max load so work up and be careful.

If you're saving fur this may not be the load for you. It makes a serious mess of coyotes.

Back