I will never leave my gun in the truck again!

reaper4

so I have never left for a set with any calling partner where I did not bring my rifle with me.(usually a shotgun AND my rifle). anyway, I was taking a new guy out to show him the ropes and with the last few weeks being slow, decided that after our first snow of the season and nice 29 degree temps and almost no wind I would finally call some of my private land and see if I couldn't get this guy on a few fox for himself. well set one was a blank and my hopes of a action packed night of calling started to fade.

well I was dead set on getting him excited so on to set #2. at the second set I hauled out all our gear and started the call at 7:23. after running through my usual calls I accidently hit the "baby jack distress" on my way to baby cottontail and decided that it sounded decent and I would let it play for a few minutes and see what happened. well about 90 seconds later I scan into the newbies lane and there a red charging hard at 60 yards and closing. I stopped the call the red stopped and as im whispering "SHOOT HIM, SHOOT HIM!" he turned around and ran about 20 yards and stopped. I had him in my scope and before my buddy knew what was going on I hit him in the chest and down he went. I turned the call to juv red fox distress and let it rip. about 3 minutes later I see eyes coming straight down my barrel and shot him at 25 yards. my buddy never even knew I had one coming and about sh*t his pants when the 223 barked. Even though he never fired a shot he was hooked.

set #3 I decided that he just was not going to be able to get on an animal as fast as my or my other calling partners and I did not want to be that guy that shot every animal we called in so I opted to leave both guns in the truck and just call for him. well "baby jack" was working so far so I started my set with it and about 6 minutes in I caught a glimpse if a set of eyes that looked too big and too high to be a fox. The animal was slowly working his way down a hedgerow to us and held up at about 150 yards. I worked him for 2 or 3 more minutes and lost his eyes as he turned around. I panicked and hit my coyote pup distress button and let it rip loud. moments later here it comes streaking across the field. I whisper to my buddy to get ready and as it got closer I knew for sure that I had just called my first Maryland coyote. As the large coyote approached the call it stopped at 50 yards giving a perfect shot. Old spark plug (buddys nickname) let the 204 bark and to my amazement the coyote turned tail and took off. after talking to him and asking what the [beeep] happened, all he could say was "I was shaking like a dog crappin a peach pit"

although we went on to call a few more sets and killed a total of 4 more reds and two greys. (a double with a shotgun for him on the geys) I learned that I will never leave my rifle in the truck again. We already had an understanding that if we called a coyote I would get the shot. Oh well, he had a blast and I have killed my fare share of coyotes in other states.

Yep... Never leave your weapon...
scared.gif

Great story reaper sorry for the yote getaway but can't kill them all heck I can't kill one yet kids still home from school today so no hunting temps went up at least so maybe all will be will 22 mph winds today .

But great hunting and keepem in the red,
Scott

Getting to be more and more yotes here in maryland. Hard to make that transition from always running fox sets to shifting for coyotes. I have a completely different calling structure when i travel to yote country as opposed to when I'm hunting close to home. To my amazement i shot a yote right on the line of the baltimore city limits in a fox set. Guess you never know these days.

I go down to VA have a few places accross the bridge also have several southern and central va farms. Headed that way this weekend hopefully to get some blood on new 204

[beeep] that sounds like fun. I hunted central va with a guy I et on here and we had a blast. there are plenty of dogs down that way. I need to get some places in central va lined up. I might start to hunt fort ap hill too

ap hill quantico and ft belvoir all have them. killed my first yote on ap hill turkey hunting about 15 years ago. Attacked my decoy with big tom 80 yds in front of me

yeah im in the md national guard and we do just about all of out field training and ranges down there. I have seen a few and I know you can hunt them there but cant hunt at night so it would be a daylight thing. I might drive down there the weekend after next and see if I cant line up some private land down there to call after I call the hill during the day

Back