7mm-08 vs 25-06

ntesta

I just bought a AR in 5.56/223 to use for groundhogs (and if I ever get the chance to, to shoot prairie dogs) and now I'm looking at something for a longer range varmint (coyote/fox) that can be dual use for some big game (mostly deer).

7mm-08 or 25-06? My biggest concern would be the availability of factory ammo as I don't reload and probably won't reload. I have been looking at the .243 as an alternative just based on the fact that ammo availability is better than both of the previous mentioned calibers. I wanted to explore the 7mm-08 and 25-06 first. Most of my hunting/shooting will be on east coast farm fields and woods for now.

Thanks.

My vote would be the 25-06. Going to be more lighter bullets to use for long range coyotes. Either is going to waste a fox.

.243 would be a good choice as well.

I have both, a 7-08 in a remington B&C.... And a ruger 25-06 with a 22" hart barrel. I think the 7-08 hits harder, and obviously the 25-06 is flatter.

Just depends which way you lean, more big game or more coyotes.

What type of rifle do you want. 7-08 comes in smaller packages as it's a short action round.

Last edited:
.243 would be better then either of the other two for coyotes and is just as capable as the others for deer with the right ammo.

Originally Posted By: MNHNTR.243 would be better then either of the other two for coyotes and is just as capable as the others for deer with the right ammo.

I won't argue with that. The 243 would be a much better coyote caliber, and as far as deer go, it will do the job. The key is using the right ammo.

Desert I like that you're a fan but don't limit the little 7, haha

My longest "Kentucky-ed" kill ever one a coyote was with one shot from my 7-08 while aoudad hunting, right at 490 yards. Just a lucky guess on bullet drop.

And it's a good 500 yard anything else gun in capable hands, as well as a superb paper puncher out to 1000 yards. (Had a nice heavy barreled 7-08 years ago)

7-08 is my go to for cow elk and especially black bear.

Originally Posted By: MNHNTR.243 would be better then either of the other two for coyotes and is just as capable as the others for deer with the right ammo.
How is the .243 a better coyote round? The .243 is a good choice, but to say it is a better than a 25-06 for coyotes and deer is a little far fetched.... Both will do an adequate job of the task at hand, but the 25-06 loses nothing to the .243....

Originally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTR.243 would be better then either of the other two for coyotes and is just as capable as the others for deer with the right ammo.
How is the .243 a better coyote round? The .243 is a good choice, but to say it is a better than a 25-06 for coyotes and deer is a little far fetched.... Both will do an adequate job of the task at hand, but the 25-06 loses nothing to the .243....
Other than bullet choices and range your right. The 243 is better as the range gets longer and has more options for bullets.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Desert I like that you're a fan but don't limit the little 7, haha

My longest "Kentucky-ed" kill ever one a coyote was with one shot from my 7-08 while aoudad hunting, right at 490 yards. Just a lucky guess on bullet drop.

And it's a good 500 yard anything else gun in capable hands, as well as a superb paper puncher out to 1000 yards. (Had a nice heavy barreled 7-08 years ago)

7-08 is my go to for cow elk and especially black bear.

I just meant that it's basically point and shoot out to 300 on game. If guys can shoot 1000 yds with the 308...I know it can be done better with the 7mm-08. By the way, I shoot a .243 and it is very nice. I also have a 7mm magnum that is quite a bit "nicer". Combine the two and you either end up with a 7mm-08 or a 6mm mach 4 I think? Lol...it's a rediculous 6mm anyways. The 7mm-08 is nicely balanced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MNHNTROriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTR.243 would be better then either of the other two for coyotes and is just as capable as the others for deer with the right ammo.
Other than bullet choices and range your right. The 243 is better as the range gets longer and has more options for bullets.
I'm right about what? I said the .243 was a good choice, but also said the 25-06 gave up nothing to the .243. I run 75 grain vmax from my .243 @ around 3400fps. I run 87 grain TNT's from my 25-06 at around 3500 fps. I hunt with my .243 a lot during the offseason, but come tournament time the 25-06 gets the nod. Time is money in a tourney, and I need that Yote to be laying where I shot him. I trust the 25-06 more in those situations. That's my opinion, and we all know everyone has one...

Originally Posted By: desertcjThe 25-06 can't hang with a .243 at 1000yds. Mostly because of the bullets available in .257".
Lol. Yeah I always wish I had brought my .243 instead when I make those 1000 yard shots on deer and coyotes every other day.... I've never killed a critter past 450 yards.

Originally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: desertcjThe 25-06 can't hang with a .243 at 1000yds. Mostly because of the bullets available in .257".
Lol. Yeah I always wish I had brought my .243 instead when I make those 1000 yard shots on deer and coyotes every other day.... I've never killed a critter past 450 yards.

Some people do. Apparently you don't, that's great. Neither have I, but that doesn't mean that I never want to try.

My choice is the .25-06, owned one for 37 years. I also own a .243 and like it alot. But, if I were going for deer I'd choose the 06 over the .243 any day. It's a harder hitting cartridge when it comes to hunting

Many are talking better bullets for the .243, but we're talking hunting, not targets with match bullets. Look at the hunting bullets and you'll see they're no better.

Another secret that I hate to let out is through the shortages of ammo and bullets I never had a problem finding either for the .25-06.

Originally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTROriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTR.243 would be better then either of the other two for coyotes and is just as capable as the others for deer with the right ammo.
I'm right about what? I said the .243 was a good choice, but also said the 25-06 gave up nothing to the .243. I run 75 grain vmax from my .243 @ around 3400fps. I run 87 grain TNT's from my 25-06 at around 3500 fps. I hunt with my .243 a lot during the offseason, but come tournament time the 25-06 gets the nod. Time is money in a tourney, and I need that Yote to be laying where I shot him. I trust the 25-06 more in those situations. That's my opinion, and we all know everyone has one...

Your right both will do the job. The 25-06 does give up to the .243 at longer yardages but that does not matter to you as you said. I have had this argument with all the quarter bore followers. I know you guys that shoot them will never accept the 6mms and 6.5mms have better down range performance but it is a fact. Stick to your .25 if you love it I am simply pointing out the 243 will shine at longer ranges and give the hand loader more bullet choices.

Last edited:
Back