foxpro shockwave not meant to be outside?

aaronmach1

I was just reading the shockwave manual and in it they warn it is not weather proof. If its snowing or raining slightly they say you should put the caller into a big ziplock freezer type baggie so it isnt ruined. Are you kidding me!!!??? Never had that warning or any issues with my wildlife tech caller.

I have used my Sh0ckwaVe in rain and snow. I don't put it in a plastic bag. I have never had any trouble with mine over the past two years. I don't make a habit of hunting in rainy weather but I get caught out in at occasionally. I hunt when it snows as often as I can.

My cousin 4Paws likes to hunt in the rain. He sits his caller in the rain (drizzle or sprinkle) while he hides in a barn. He doesn't hunt if it's raining hard. He doesn't use a plastic bag.

I think f0xpr0 is being cautious and I may start using a bag---no biggie.

I won't willingly sit in a pouring rain to hunt coyotes. Very unproductive. I don't even want my guns exposed to a prolonged heavy rain. I will hunt in the rain, but ONLY for deer where the season is so short it's now or never, but I still use a finger cot over the end of my barrel and protect the action as much as possible.

I guess its the snow part that bothered me. I wont hunt rain either. But when its snowing i have had some of my most productive sets. This just caught my attention.

FoxPro is just putting emphasis on something we all should pay attention to. Moisture, including condensation, can be the start of corrosion. Hunting in the snow or light rain is not apt to cause you a lot of trouble. Every ecaller I have ever had would have been in big trouble if either element was all that bad. I have used a Walmart shopping bag to just cut down on any possibility of getting something wet. Point is to air your equipment out well when you get home.

Yes, pretty much common sense, and applies to ALL digital callers that I'm aware of. Never saw one that was o-ring sealed and capable of immersion in liquid. FoxPro is just more upfront about it.

I have both and the Shockwave is more resistant to moisture than WTs.(be it the old 6 volters,2030s or MAs)
Recently saw a thread that the Shockwave wouldn't work in sub zero temps.Ha,minus 16 this AM and worked fine.

My concern would be when setting the caller out at or before daylight or dark when the dew or ground moisture soaks everything.

Seems that top of the line expensive brands/units that are designed to be used in the outdoor environment should be very weather resistant.

Dave

I'm betting you are worrying about a non issue. Unless you are leaving it out overnight, the dew is already there and won't be forming all over the call.

I agree.It does not have to be babied.This is my 2nd year on mine and it gets used.This year it's been in rain,sleet,heavy snow,under snow a few times(fell or blew off a rockpile and was a few inches under the snow when I came back)and it hasn't quit.When I get home,I remove it from the backpack,recharge,and let it dry off.
It's tougher than it looks and than I thought.Example:A few weeks ago a buddy drops me off on a fairly busy highway and I put my backpack(Shockwave inside)on the back of the truck while messing with my clothes and rifle.Thinking I was ready he takes off while I'm hollaring and waving.I saw it bounce n roll off on the shoulder about 50 yds away.Was sick but after unpacking(battery door was off,battery pack unplugged)i got it back together and it's fine.Great dam unit.

Last edited:
Lately when using the Sh0ckwaVe I sit it on top of the carry bag or a little tripod.

Prior to that I just sat it on the ground. Sitting the ShoCkwavE on the ground in heavy dew never created a problem. I have hunted in light rains and a lot of snow with my unit.

IMO the ShocKwavE is very weather resistant but I don't think electronics are designed to be weather proof. We just have to use good judgment.

Just call from your porch
wink.gif

I believe the tests we have put the Fusion, CS-24C, and the Shockwaves through as far as hunting in weather extremes show that they are all very weather resistant. We put them on tripods or on our carry bags. No negative issues. I carry a Walmart shopping bag in my carry all in case I was hunting in the rain or heavy snow. I always air out my equipment when I get home and allow it to dry properly. I have been doing that for over 15 years with no issues.

I wish FoxPro would make a waterproof call. I've never hunted in the rain, and wouldn't in pouring rain but light drizzle wouldn't bother me. I'd hunt in snow to.

Thanks guys this definatly will lesson my concern. Will let it dry out like usual and not worry. Also, i wont try calling any pike or bass under water!

aaronmach1,

We definitely are airing on the side of caution when talking about putting the caller in a ziploc baggie in the inclement weather. We have used that statement ever since the first production of our calls. I have used the units in all kinds of weather without any issues at all. The problem with referring to the units as waterproof is it would mean there would be very stringent protocols that the units would have to meet to be able to claim waterproof. It would have to be completely submerged in water for a length of time without any water intrusion at all. There are many devices out there today that claim waterproof, when in reality they are not. We certainly do not want to deceive people into thinking our units are waterproof, when in fact they are not, according to the true definition of waterproof. I can say that you could use the units in almost any huntable conditions without any issues. Hope this clarifies this for you.

Mike Dillon

FOXPRO Inc.

Back