222 Remington magnum

Kjsguns

Picked up a 60's Era Remington 700 ADL in 222 Remington mag last weekend. It was barley used and had never even had a scope mounted on it. Finally found some brass and dies now gonna work up some loads. Anyone have any pet loads they like? Wanted to get a 223 but didn't want to pass on such a rare caliber that slightly outperforms the 223

The 222 magnum case holds a little over one grain of water more than the 223, most data is very close to the 223. Does your rifle by chance have the short barrel of the first two years of production? They were somewhat rare.

Deuce Mag. Very cool. Mine is of the Sako Vixen variety.

I think you did good on buying it......
7F48E10F-CF34-4FC5-A3BF-7E340EC6FFB4-302-0000002B13D8F336.jpg

The 222 Rem Mag is an excellent cartridge. Both for small game and predator hunting and for PD shooting.

I own three rifles chambered in the cartridge. One is a very early production Model 700 ADL with an old 6X Weaver scope attached, another is a Sako Vixen also still equipped with the original Weaver 6X scope bought with the new rifle, and the other is a custom varmint rifle built about 10 years ago on a Rem 700 action in an HS Precision stock.

I doubt I'll ever get rid of any of these three.

That sako vixen is beautiful I have one in a 222 that is a mutt (douglas barrel and mpi stock) I love that little rifle I really want to buy another one some day that is my all time favorite rifle!!!

I have four rifles chambered in .222 magnum. It is my favorite small case cartridge. I really don't have a valid reason. You get a little more speed over the .222 and I like the longer neck compared to the .223. No big deal though.

My go to power was always IMR 3031 until I tested some IMR XBR 8208. It shrank my groups in half in my 40 XBR. I would suggest testing 8208 powder in your magnum.

Have fun.

I've got Rem 722 in 222mag and couple years ago had one build.

I'm shooting surplus IMR-8208 and IMR-8208 XBR would be my first choice and other powders I've used in the pass IMR-4895,IMR-3031.

I am having a heck of a time getting this one to shoot. I'm hoping to find a few of your suggested powders to try. I have a feeling the scope I had on it may have been going south so I put a reliable scope on it and worked up a few more test loads, just waiting for better weather to give her another go

I have a 222 rem mag 722 built in 1959. Great shooter with almost every thing I run through it. My go to load is the 50 grain vmax with 27.0 grains of Varget.

well its getting closer. Just got done shooting it and with a bunch of different load work ups I finally got it shooting a 5 shot 1" group at 100 yds with some barnes varminators and BL-C(2) should be able to mess around a little with that and hopefully get closer to 1/2" next time I'm out

Back