what boyds stock??

ohihunter2014

looking to get a boyds stock for my savage axis and torn between the varmint hunter and the prairie hunter. are these stock heavy? is it worth it? how much mods do I have to do before installing it? and most important are they weather safe?

thanks

Maybe some small fitting all the Boyd's I've had are drop ins minus opening the barrel channel an a bed job. I love them. Not heavy compared to walnut imo

Yeah, they're heavier than a regular wood stock if you're talking the laminate...and are much heavier than any of the factory axis plastic stocks.

I have one on my 22-250 Rem700 SPS and it is well worth it for the look and feel, I have the thumb hole model. Love the colour and feel!!

Weather isn't a huge issue with these as they're sealed...same as any wood laminate stock.

Originally Posted By: coyotekiller82Yeah, they're heavier than a regular wood stock if you're talking the laminate...and are much heavier than any of the factory axis plastic stocks.

I have one on my 22-250 Rem700 SPS and it is well worth it for the look and feel, I have the thumb hole model. Love the colour and feel!!

Weather isn't a huge issue with these as they're sealed...same as any wood laminate stock.

how heavy is that thumbhole stock? i want to get the grey look in the prarie hunter.

The prairie hunter on a Rem 700 ADL felt great, a noticeable jump in weight compared to the factory tupperware, but not what I'd say was heavy or misbalanced for the standard weight barrel.

I put a Featherweight Thumbhole on a Savage B-Mag, it's remarkably light. It has a wide, flat forend that's more sculpted than I anticipated, but I like a lot. The heavy barreled B-Mag felt TERRIBLY balanced in the factory stock - too much weight up front and nothing in the back, but the Boyd's featherweight thumbhole balanced it out very cleanly for me. It still feels like a rimfire rifle by weight, but handles more steady like a heavier cf rifle - without the weight.

The weight shown is usually for the laminates. Unless you plan on shooting strictly off a bench, your gonna want the Prairie Hunter or the Classic. If you want a thumbhole stock for a hunting rig, then go with the featherweight thumbhole. The varmint thumbhole stock is heavy. It's meant for a gun that'll be riding sandbags for a living. The swivel studs in the varmint stock are just there to piss someone off. Cuz any heavy barreled gun in that stock, your not gonna want to carry around!

I have a .223AI in the featherweight thumbhole and love it for calling. I have a .22-250AI in a Classic that I also use for calling. I have an SPS Varmint .22-250 in the Varmint thumbhole as well. My SPS Varmint weighed in at 11lbs after changing the stock. I've since added a bunch more weight to it by filling the barrel channel and buttstock with lead pellets. It's a tad over 12lbs now.

I have an Axis wearing the thumbhole varminter stock and another wearing Classic stock.

The thumbhole stock is definitely heavier, by over 6 ounces. This was not a downside to me as the Axis felt whippy with the plastic factory stock. Having the added heft to my .223 makes it a joy to shoot in the p-dog towns, the felt recoil is now almost nothing.

I had to do about 10 minutes of fitting work with a fine chisel on my first Boyd's stock for the Axis, but this one was ordered literally on the day they came out. The second one was plug and play.

If weight is the major factor, I'd go with the classic.

Grouse

I just ordered a featherweight thumbhole for a remington 788 project. Thought by the website it was pretty well a drop in ready stock. How much barrel channel work will need to be done?

You will not regret getting a Prairie Hunter...I have one on my 260 and really like it. Not much fitting at all. Buy with confidence.

Back