Bobcat next to my Fury and Jack Attack, Video and pics.

derbyacresbob

I left the house at about 8:30 am this morning to make some stands in some higher country than I have been calling lately.

On the way up to where I wanted to start calling two coyotes crossed the ranch road I was on about 400 yards in front of me. They were not in a hurry.

When I got even with them the slowest one was about 100 yards away when I got out of my truck. I laid down with my bi-pod on my 22-250 and the slow coyote stopped to look back at me.

004-5.jpg

This is the slow coyote that should not have stopped and looked back at 150 yards away.

The first stand I made I was using my shotgun and had my Fury and Jack Attack decoy set about 15 yards from me. No takers on stand #1.

On stand #2, I had my shotgun again and I sat in the shade of a big long rock that was about 4 feet high. There was a bunch of rocks across from me on the other side of a narrow valley. I was sitting next to a rock on a small ridge that had junipers and rocks on it.

I had my fury, Jack Attack Decoy and my Contour Roam video Camera set up about 15 yards in front of me.

010-4.jpg

You can see my caller towards the bottom of the above picture.

I started out with Bay Bee Cottontail and after quite a while I went to Adult Rat sound. After quite a while I switched to Screamin Jay sound on full blast volume 40.

The rock I was sitting in the shade of I had to raise my head up a little every once in a while to see down the ridge I was on off to my right. I could see about 25 yards to my right but to see about 300 yards to my right I needed to peek over the rock.

Screaming Jay had been playing full blast for quite a while when I peeked over the rock to my right again.

016-8.jpg

This is what I saw coming my way from the right over the rock. I didn't peek over the rock anymore after I took a few pictures.

I told myself that I wasn't going to take anymore pictures until the bobcat stopped or got to my Fury and decoy. I couldn't see the bobcat and I knew it had about 150 yards more to travel before I could see it again. I knew If I did see it again it would only be about 25 yards away from me.

It seemed like it took forever but it was only about 2 to 3 minutes that went by before I saw the bobcat again. It was crouched down and sneaking in slowly when it stopped in some low brush about 10 yards from the Fury and decoy.

It stopped for only about 15 seconds and then dashed right up to the Fury and Jack Attack Decoy. So I started taking pictures.

018-Copy.jpg

020-Copy.jpg

021-Copy-2.jpg

022-Copy-1.jpg

It all happened so fast I was hoping that I got some pictures before the bobcat left the caller and decoy. The bobcat circled around to my left and I took a few pictures while it was leaving.

024-6.jpg

Below is the short video of the bobcat coming up to the Fury and Jack Attack Decoy.
http://vid148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/derbyacresbob/FuryDeekBC.mp4

This bobcat made my day!

I blanked on 4 more stands and then headed for home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: shawn@moDid you not shoot the cat?? Great pictures would have made my dad as well

No I didn't shoot the bobcat. Some of the land owners I know don't want me to shoot bobcats and I don't want to pay the State of California a bunch of money so I can legally shoot them. For me, the fun part is calling them in close and taking live pictures of them.

Quote:This bobcat made my day!

It sure would have made mine! Great pictures, as usual, Bob.

Quote: Screaming Jay had been playing full blast for quite a while when I peeked over the rock to my right again.

Had you silenced the call or was it still screaming jay @ full volume when the cat was between the caller and decoy?

Regards,
hm

Awesome stuff Bob! Just awesome! I'm also curious if you left the caller running or if you dropped the volume down? Makes you wonder what goes thru those cat's head when they are right at a caller trying to figure it out doesn't it? It's cute when they do it though that's for sure. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hawk-eyeAwesome stuff Bob! Just awesome! I'm also curious if you left the caller running or if you dropped the volume down? Makes you wonder what goes thru those cat's head when they are right at a caller trying to figure it out doesn't it? It's cute when they do it though that's for sure. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Thanks Hawk-eye!

I did lower the volume from 40 down to around 20 when the bobcat was about 150 yards away.

One time I had a bobcat stop about 40 yards from my caller so I lowered the volume and tried coaxing it in with a bunch of different rodent sounds.

I finally gave up on coaxing in that bobcat and switched to Lightning Jack on full blast to try and call in a coyote. When I went to full volume with one of Foxpro's loudest sounds the bobcat ran right up to my caller. LOL

Bob, you always do a good job with photos. I have seen some really nice ones you have done over the years.

I see, in Missouri we don't have separate things for cats and yotes all in one package one price. But if Icould take good pictures iI might feel the same.

Now that was a great post!!! The photos were great and the video was very interesting to watch to see the bobcat's reaction to the decoy and the sounds!!! It kind of looked like it was thinking, "Oh No!!! I got caught with my paw in the cookie jar again!!!"

Thanks for taking the time to post this one!

Back